Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gel on finished PCB?

Hi,
I am going to be vague for this first post.Please excuse me.

A number of folks have very recently purchased defective AV receivers
from a certain well known manufacturer. Since the manufacturer does
not publicly disclose the cause of the symptoms owners are
experiencing, much speculation has occurred as to the cause. The
speculation I refer to is on a thread in a forum for AV enthusiasts.
Since the repair involves a 40 pin ribbon cable and its associated
connectors, one poster claims to have inside information as to the
cause of the failure of these components. His claim is that there was
an acidic gel applied to the PCB and connectors that corrodes the
cable and connectors. Not knowing of any gel that could be left on a
finished product's PCBs, especially in the area of a connector, I
question this claim. So, my question is, does anyone have any
explanation as to how or why or what this gel might be? And is it a
feasible claim that there was such a gel? To me, the claim is
extraordinary and leaves me with more questions than answers.

Thanx in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 05:50:34 -0700 (PDT), Braunbear
wrote:

[...]

Flux residue?

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Braunbear wrote in message
[...]

Flux associated with PbF is my guess

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Braunbear"

I am going to be vague for this first post.

** Unsupported claims made on the net should be automatically treated as
bull****.

Unsupported claims from anonymous persons should automatically be treated as
lies.

The onus of proof always lies with the person making any claim - not on
others to disprove.

Liars thrive on anonymity, ambiguity and that no-one calls their bluff.

Take this to heart and it will utterly change your life.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 10, 10:21*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Braunbear wrote in message

[...]

Wouldn't the flux have been washed off by the time the board had been
assembled in the finished product. Certainly before the conformal
coating. no? Have you seen flux residue before in such situations?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Could be, water-soluble flux is corrosive, and many manufacturers
switched to it when CFCs were banned. Board populated, soldered, washed,
then connectors added by hand and not washed.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 10, 12:06*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanx everyone for the quick responses. I appreciate the effort. Well,
i learned that there is no gel, other than possible flux residue. I
opened my unit and discovered no gel or residue, but I do have the
symptoms of the defect. I just wish the manufacturer would be more
forthcoming and let us know what went wrong as the symptoms are
intermittent and the fix did not work for me. My cable and connectors
were replaced. Not to mention, this happened to so many units across
the entire model lineup that its hard to imagine they were all not
washed properly. Thanx again.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

What I've gleaned is that the switch to Pb-free lead (no pun intended)
manufacturers to trying several different solder formulations and then
more permutations on top of that to find a workable flux. I'd imagine
that some of the attempts worked out less well than others.

I'm keeping my tub of Kester 44. ;-)

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, they may have missed that step on the entire product run,
which is why they don't want to say anything. Cleaning a PCB cost
money, and slows production. The bean counters cut every corner they
can, and some they can't. It sounds like it's time for a 'Class Action
Lawsuit'.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Rich Webb wrote:

What I've gleaned is that the switch to Pb-free lead (no pun intended)
manufacturers to ...

Homonyms messing with you again? Led to another typo? Damn that English
language.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Braunbear" wrote in message
Thanx everyone for the quick responses. I appreciate the effort. Well,
i learned that there is no gel, other than possible flux residue. I
opened my unit and discovered no gel or residue, but I do have the
symptoms of the defect. I just wish the manufacturer would be more
forthcoming and let us know what went wrong as the symptoms are
intermittent and the fix did not work for me. My cable and connectors
were replaced. Not to mention, this happened to so many units across
the entire model lineup that its hard to imagine they were all not
washed properly. Thanx again.

Well since the 'well known manufacture' is a secret, how do you expect to
get a valid answer? Get serious, what make and model are you talking about?

Finished something... steamer Metalworking 17 November 10th 09 05:46 PM
How Do You Know When It's Finished Tom Watson Woodworking 5 July 4th 09 12:16 AM
It's finished Lowell Holmes Woodworking Plans and Photos 16 April 29th 08 04:25 AM
Finished! Nigel Molesworth UK diy 3 December 27th 05 09:51 AM
New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 02:02 AM