Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How Do You Know When It's Finished

The great Florentine bronze master, Ghiberti, had a man in the yard
behind his shop whose sole task was to polish the finished pieces.

The story goes that an old man would daily stop at the gates to the
yard and watch the polisher at his work.

After some time had gone by the old man finally spoke up and asked
this question of the polisher:

"How do you know when it is finished?"

The polisher stopped his work for a moment and said to the old man:

"It is never finished - one day they simply come and take it away."

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
The great Florentine bronze master, Ghiberti, had a man in the yard
behind his shop whose sole task was to polish the finished pieces.

The story goes that an old man would daily stop at the gates to the
yard and watch the polisher at his work.

After some time had gone by the old man finally spoke up and asked
this question of the polisher:

"How do you know when it is finished?"

The polisher stopped his work for a moment and said to the old man:

"It is never finished - one day they simply come and take it away."

I spent an inordinate amount of time doing the research for my MS degree and
kept finding new avenues to explore. The department chair was getting upset
about this and finally told me that if I did not finish in three months he'd
throw me out. I made it with a week to spare. I still didn't think it was
Really Finished ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

LD wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
The great Florentine bronze master, Ghiberti, had a man in the yard
behind his shop whose sole task was to polish the finished pieces.

The story goes that an old man would daily stop at the gates to the
yard and watch the polisher at his work.

After some time had gone by the old man finally spoke up and asked
this question of the polisher:

"How do you know when it is finished?"

The polisher stopped his work for a moment and said to the old man:

"It is never finished - one day they simply come and take it away."

I spent an inordinate amount of time doing the research for my MS degree
and kept finding new avenues to explore. The department chair was
getting upset about this and finally told me that if I did not finish in
three months he'd throw me out. I made it with a week to spare. I still
didn't think it was Really Finished ...

Babbage's disease ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:29:32 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

The great Florentine bronze master, Ghiberti, had a man in the yard
behind his shop whose sole task was to polish the finished pieces.

The story goes that an old man would daily stop at the gates to the yard
and watch the polisher at his work.

After some time had gone by the old man finally spoke up and asked this
question of the polisher:

"How do you know when it is finished?"

The polisher stopped his work for a moment and said to the old man:

"It is never finished - one day they simply come and take it away."

There's a saying:

"A great work of art is never finished, just abandoned"

Posted to rec.woodworking

PCPaul wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:29:32 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

The great Florentine bronze master, Ghiberti, had a man in the yard
behind his shop whose sole task was to polish the finished pieces.

The story goes that an old man would daily stop at the gates to the yard
and watch the polisher at his work.

After some time had gone by the old man finally spoke up and asked this
question of the polisher:

"How do you know when it is finished?"

The polisher stopped his work for a moment and said to the old man:

"It is never finished - one day they simply come and take it away."

There's a saying:

"A great work of art is never finished, just abandoned"

It's finished when SWMBO says it's finished.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , urd3
@bitrot.co.uk says...
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:29:32 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

The great Florentine bronze master, Ghiberti, had a man in the yard
behind his shop whose sole task was to polish the finished pieces.

The story goes that an old man would daily stop at the gates to the yard
and watch the polisher at his work.

After some time had gone by the old man finally spoke up and asked this
question of the polisher:

"How do you know when it is finished?"

The polisher stopped his work for a moment and said to the old man:

"It is never finished - one day they simply come and take it away."

There's a saying:

"A great work of art is never finished, just abandoned"

The making of great art starts and stops closer to perfection.

Another Deck Finished jloomis Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 November 17th 08 10:58 PM
It's finished Lowell Holmes Woodworking Plans and Photos 16 April 29th 08 04:25 AM
Bench is finished Joe Woodworking Plans and Photos 16 March 17th 07 04:23 PM
Finished! Nigel Molesworth UK diy 3 December 27th 05 09:51 AM
New shop open, my first workbench is finished, just not finished... JC Woodworking 8 May 31st 05 02:02 AM