Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lead free solder

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
news
In article , William Sommerwerck
writes

I hate callbacks. I would use lead-based solder on repairs.

Me too, made sure I'm well stocked up on lead-based solder.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

There is no shortage of lead-based solder, nor is there likely to be in the
near future. There is still plenty of equipment in the market which is
produced by sectors that have an exemption for their product class, and
equipment produced and owned from before June 2006. In both of these cases,
it is acceptable - and indeed desirable - to use lead-based solder for
repairs, modifications and upgrades.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

"Adrian Tuddenham"

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

** The fines may exist in theory, but can you show if anyone has been fined
for using the wrong solder for repairs ?

There are many obvious, simple defences to such a charge and almost no way
to get caught.

Get real.

..... Phil

Europeans are the biggest whining sissies on the planet. There's simply no
other way to put it.

I'm in the US, we can do whatever we want with lead.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Cydrome Leader"

Europeans are the biggest whining sissies on the planet. There's simply no
other way to put it.

I'm in the US, we can do whatever we want with lead.

** As Steve McQueen said in "The Magnificent Seven"

" We deal in lead, friend. "

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Phil Allison wrote:

"Adrian Tuddenham"

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

** The fines may exist in theory, but can you show if anyone has been
fined
for using the wrong solder for repairs ?

There are many obvious, simple defences to such a charge and almost no
way
to get caught.

Get real.

..... Phil

Europeans are the biggest whining sissies on the planet. There's simply no
other way to put it.

I'm in the US, we can do whatever we want with lead.

Please don't lump the British with the "Europeans". We aren't Europeans in
any way other than an enforced political condition. We never have been and
never will be, and if a lot of people over here had their way, we would also
get out of the political tie-ups to allow us to govern ourselves and make
our own laws again, without interference from Brussels

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily"

Please don't lump the British with the "Europeans". We aren't Europeans in
any way other than an enforced political condition. We never have been and
never will be, and if a lot of people over here had their way, we would
also get out of the political tie-ups to allow us to govern ourselves and
make our own laws again, without interference from Brussels

** Do you recall the episode of " Yes Minister " where the topic was the
impending EU directive re the " Euro Sausage".

Folk generally mistake that show for a comedy, when it was clearly a
instructive documentary.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 21, 5:07*pm, "Charles" wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

If it's as bad as the lead-free plumbing solder, expect
poor wetting and tendency to set cold. 63/37 tin-lead
can't be beat. Fast, and joints look like they're soldered
with Sterling silver.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily"

Please don't lump the British with the "Europeans". We aren't Europeans
in any way other than an enforced political condition. We never have been
and never will be, and if a lot of people over here had their way, we
would also get out of the political tie-ups to allow us to govern
ourselves and make our own laws again, without interference from Brussels

** Do you recall the episode of " Yes Minister " where the topic was the
impending EU directive re the " Euro Sausage".

Folk generally mistake that show for a comedy, when it was clearly a
instructive documentary.

.... Phil

For once Phil, very insightful ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 5:07 pm, "Charles" wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

If it's as bad as the lead-free plumbing solder, expect
poor wetting and tendency to set cold. 63/37 tin-lead
can't be beat. Fast, and joints look like they're soldered
with Sterling silver.

The eutectic 63/37 alloy is still easy to buy. Perhaps the repair industry
is dodging the bullet fired at the manufacturing industry. Or, as several
have pointed out, it is impossible to enforce lead-free rules on the
repairers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gs gs is offline

On Apr 25, 5:45*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

news
In article , William Sommerwerck
writes

I hate callbacks. I would use lead-based solder on repairs.

Me too, made sure I'm well stocked up on lead-based solder.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

There is no shortage of lead-based solder, nor is there likely to be in the
near future. There is still plenty of equipment in the market which is
produced by sectors that have an exemption *for their product class, and
equipment produced and owned from before June 2006. In both of these cases,
it is acceptable - and indeed desirable - to use lead-based solder for
repairs, modifications and upgrades.

Arfa

I am running out of leaded plumbing solder. HELP!!

Greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GS wrote:

[...]

Have you run out of plumbers to mug? ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 5:07 pm, "Charles" wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

If it's as bad as the lead-free plumbing solder, expect
poor wetting and tendency to set cold. 63/37 tin-lead
can't be beat. Fast, and joints look like they're soldered
with Sterling silver.

The eutectic 63/37 alloy is still easy to buy. Perhaps the repair industry
is dodging the bullet fired at the manufacturing industry. Or, as several
have pointed out, it is impossible to enforce lead-free rules on the
repairers.

Once again, you ignore the fact that Usenet isn't a US only medium.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Charles wrote:

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 5:07 pm, "Charles" wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

If it's as bad as the lead-free plumbing solder, expect
poor wetting and tendency to set cold. 63/37 tin-lead
can't be beat. Fast, and joints look like they're soldered
with Sterling silver.

The eutectic 63/37 alloy is still easy to buy. Perhaps the repair
industry
is dodging the bullet fired at the manufacturing industry. Or, as several
have pointed out, it is impossible to enforce lead-free rules on the
repairers.

Once again, you ignore the fact that Usenet isn't a US only medium.

OK, please post your International summary of the legal use of leaded
solders for repairs, as of May, 2011.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 5:07 pm, "Charles" wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

If it's as bad as the lead-free plumbing solder, expect
poor wetting and tendency to set cold. 63/37 tin-lead
can't be beat. Fast, and joints look like they're soldered
with Sterling silver.

The eutectic 63/37 alloy is still easy to buy. Perhaps the repair
industry
is dodging the bullet fired at the manufacturing industry. Or, as
several
have pointed out, it is impossible to enforce lead-free rules on the
repairers.

Once again, you ignore the fact that Usenet isn't a US only medium.

OK, please post your International summary of the legal use of leaded
solders for repairs, as of May, 2011.

Here is one UK manufacturer of leaded solder -

http://www.warton-metals.co.uk/barsolder.html

No idea on the legal status though.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Charles wrote:
?
? "Father Haskell" wrote in message
? ...
?
[...]

Do your own homework, school teacher.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:

"Father Haskell" wrote in message

On Apr 21, 5:07 pm, "Charles" wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

If it's as bad as the lead-free plumbing solder, expect
poor wetting and tendency to set cold. 63/37 tin-lead
can't be beat. Fast, and joints look like they're soldered
with Sterling silver.

The eutectic 63/37 alloy is still easy to buy. Perhaps the repair
industry
is dodging the bullet fired at the manufacturing industry. Or, as
several
have pointed out, it is impossible to enforce lead-free rules on the
repairers.

Once again, you ignore the fact that Usenet isn't a US only medium.

OK, please post your International summary of the legal use of leaded
solders for repairs, as of May, 2011.

Speaking purely for the situation in Europe, as far as I understand it, and
based on research I did for an article in a trade mag at the time of the
implementation of the directive enforcing RoHS, it is the legal requirement
that any repairs carried out to a piece of RoHS certified equipment, must
not compromise that certification in any way. That means that any
replacement components used must be like for like, or a suitable equivalent,
having a similar RoHS certification to the original part, and that any
solder used in the repair must be lead-free.

Whilst it is probably true that this diktat is, for all practical purposes,
unenforceable, it never-the-less remains that it is the legal position, and
I suppose, if some department wanted to get bloody-minded about it, they
probably could pick on someone, and make an example of them. Green mist and
eco-bollox are the current lynch-pins of European beaureaucracy, and I'm
sure that some little tin god would score big by bringing a successful
prosecution against some poor sod like me, so better to just grin and bear
it, no matter how much you hate the situation, and get on with it within the
rules ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:

[...]

Heaps of NOS lead solder for sale at much the same price as always has been
, at radio rallies around the UK. So by inference there must still be a
demand for it. Usually accompanied with disclaimer notices along the lines
"Sold for use for repairing old equipment only"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just met the other problem . Do you have a leaded or non-leaded pcb in front
of you to deal with. ?
Current one a Fender amp, so USA and no RoHS stickers anywhere, but
component date of 2005, so before 2006, so one would assume it was leaded
solder from that info. Not taken apart yet but can see perhaps 10 ring
cracks in the solder around the valve bases, rear of pcb not seen yet. At
this stage I suspect PbF solder

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson Inscribed thus:

Charles wrote:

[...]

No association with Warton Metals, but I would highly recommend them !
They are one of the most courteous, knowledgeable and helpful companies
that I've encountered.

No idea on the legal status though.

John :-#)#

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Do your own homework, school teacher.

Assuming that I am a school teacher, how does one do homework these days.
Usenet is off limits?

You can't fix RUDE, you just have to ignore it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Do your own homework, school teacher.

Assuming that I am a school teacher, how does one do homework these days.
Usenet is off limits?

Are you saying that you lied when you claimed to have been a teacher?

You can't fix RUDE, you just have to ignore it.

OK. I'll ignore you. PLONK

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:

[...]

The main people such as Farnell still stock it as a current item.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

OK. I'll ignore you. PLONK

Bye bye.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charles" wrote in message ...

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

OK. I'll ignore you. PLONK

Bye bye.

Whoops! Darn! Did it again! The international list for saying bye includes;
o Farewell - English (formal)
o Bye - English (casual)
o elalleqa - Arabic
o khodaa haafez _ persian
o aabar dekha hobey - Bengali
o Donadagohvi - Cherokee
o Hagoonea' - Navajo
o Ahoj - Czech
o Ja ne / じゃ* (informal) - Japanese
o Ja mata ne / じゃまた* (formal) - Japanese
o Sayonara / さよなら (if you will not see them for a long time) - Japanese
o Auf Wiedersehen - German
o Bis dann - German
o Tschüss - German
o Ade - German
o Tschau - German
o Bis Spater (Bis Schpaater)- German
o Viszlát! - Hungarian
o Arrivederci - Italian
o Addio - Italian
o Ciao - Italian
o Buona sera - Italian
o Adieu - French [add-ee-uh] (farewell) very formal
o Au Revoir - French (aw reh-VWAH)
o À bientôt - French (see you later)(ah bee-EN-toe)
o À demain - French (see you tomorrow)(ah deh-MAN)
o Adios - Spanish
o Hejdå - Swedish
o Aloha - Hawaiian
o Le'hitraot - Hebrew
o Shalom - Hebrew
o Aavajo - Gujarati
2. 3
Punha Bhetu - Marathi
o Sampai Jumpa - Indonesian
o Adios - Spanish
o Paalam - Filipino
o Zai Jian - Chinese, Mandarin
o Zoi Geen (the "g" is pronounced like geek) - Chinese, Cantonese
o Farvel - Danish
o Namaste (same as hello) - Hindi ( this video shows you how to pronounce
namaste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlcpjgyrOg )
o Fir Milenge (see you) - Hindi
o Alvida (Goodbye, bit formal) - Hindi
o Ayo - Papiamentu
o Rub Rakha - Punjabi
o Feri bhetaula (lit. we'll meet again) - Nepali
o Do zobaczenia (see you) - Polish
o Żegnaj - Polish
o Adeus - Portuguese
o Tchau - Portuguese
o Do svidanya/До Свидания (until we meet again, formal)- Russian
o Poka/Пока (pronounced pa-ka, informal) - Russian
o Do vstrechi/До Встречи (until we meet again) - Russian
o Selamat jalan - Malay
o Selamat tinggal - Malay
o Tot ziens - Dutch
o Dag - Dutch
o Doei - Dutch
o 再见 - Chinese
o Yasou (YAH-soo) - Greek
o Hwyl fawr - Welsh
o Annyeonghi Kyeseyo(if the person you're talking to isn't leaving) -
Korean
o Anyeonghi Gasyeo(if the person you're talking to is leaving) - Korean
o Näkemiin (See you) - Finnish
o Hyvästi (Farewell) - Finnish
o Hasta La Vista (see you later) - Spanish
o Adios - Spanish
o Te veo despues - Spanish
o Vale- Latin (to one person)
o Valete- Latin (to more than one person)
o La revedere - Romanian
o Veloma - Malagasy
o Sige la - Pangasinan
o Khuda Hafiz - Urdu
o zai jian - Chinese
o Ha det bra - Norwegian
o Ha det - Norwegian
o Sees - Norwegian
o Snakkes - Norwegian
o Vida parayunnu - Malayalam
o Vidaiperukiren - Tamil (very formal, in fact no one uses this)
o Ok maams - Tamil (very informal, use with mates only)
o Poitu Vaarein (Taking leave but will visit again)- Tamil (standard
fare)
o Vaarein (Will come again) - Tamil short for Poitu Vaarein
o Slan - Irish
o Aavajo - Gujarati
o Чао - Macedonian
o Doviđenja - Croatian (litteraly means "Until we see again")
o Bog - Croatian ( litteraly means "God", but can be pronounced Bok! so
it is differencianised from the word "God")
o Ćao - Croatian ( Primarily used in Coastal Croatia, because of it
location very close to Italy, where you would say "Ciao" and the
prounanciation of Ciao and Ćao are similar, if not the same)
o Mattae Sigona - Kannada (Used for meet you again sometime)
o Chao - Serbian
o Nawatha hamu wemu - Sinhalese (This means "Catch you later")
o Subha dawasak - Sinhalese (This means "Have a nice day")
o Nasvidenje - Slovene (Formal)
o Adijo - Slovene (Bye)
o Čav - Slovene (Also čao and is pronounced as italian ciao)