Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lead free solder

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:07:11 -0400, Charles wrote:

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Yes.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Yes... a quite detrimental effect. Google for "tin whiskers".

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:07:11 -0400, Charles wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic
devices and equipment?

You really should do a Google Groups search before asking.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charles"

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

** The amount of work has increased.

Pb free solder is often brittle and cracks easily under thermal cycling,
stress or vibrations.

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some real
60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Charles"
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

** The amount of work has increased.

Pb free solder is often brittle and cracks easily under thermal cycling,
stress or vibrations.

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some real
60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

.... Phil

Arent't there some legal issues with that?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Charles"
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

** The amount of work has increased.

Pb free solder is often brittle and cracks easily under thermal cycling,
stress or vibrations.

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some real
60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

Arent't there some legal issues with that?

**You tell us - ****head

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And would not give a **** if it was.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison"

** A small correction....

**You tell us - ****head

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And I would not give a **** if it was.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charles wrote in message
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

This week a 6 month old amp with 2 separate PbF faults found. Plus loads of
other problems. Test with dummy load , then speaker. Place back in the cab
and supposed final test - another damn intermittant fault. Maybe just
induced by my localised handling on the power amp is enough to have
disturbed another only just holding lead-free solder joint. Luckily the
owner has another amp he cab use and this one can sit until next week when I
may be in a calmer frame of mind .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

I've still not found out what they do in the automotive industry, re
electronic engine management etc. All components will have that "lovely"
mirror finish of tin tinning on all leads plus lead free solder? AKAIK they
do not have a derogation to use proper solder. Cars are parked often in sub
zero temperatures to start tin-pest and then extreme heat cycling and
vibration is use, next to an engine ,is guaranteed to crack PbF. Toyotas
,with a mind of their own , comes to mind.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charles" wrote in message
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Presumably, you're not a frequent visitor to this group then ? It has had
probably the biggest negative reliability impact on electronic equipment,
since printed circuit construction was first introduced to the commercial
market 40 odd years ago, and was at that time itself an unreliable
technology. By 15 years ago, this type of construction and manufacturing was
a fully mature and stable technology, with a very high degree of intrinsic
reliability. Until poxy lead-free solder was forced on everyone by idiots
who didn't understand the implications. PCB construction is now probably
about as unreliable as back in the early days of the technology. Avionics,
military and life support equipment manufacturers won't use the stuff, and
have successfully negotiated exemptions from the mandate, for their classes
of equipment. That should probably tell you all that you need to know ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 21, 10:07*pm, "Charles" wrote:
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Oh GAWD yes. Its total garbage...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:26:57 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"mike"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Charles"
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices
and equipment?

** The amount of work has increased.

Pb free solder is often brittle and cracks easily under thermal
cycling, stress or vibrations.

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some
real 60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

Arent't there some legal issues with that?

**You tell us - ****head

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And would not give a **** if it was.

.... Phil

Finally a fairly civil post that I can agree with from you.
I know it's just bait and tomorrow there will be a subject
Meat Plow is a MORONIC ****HEAD but we're very used to it.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Charles
writes

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

This is a troll, isn't it?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"mike"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Charles"
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?
** The amount of work has increased.

Pb free solder is often brittle and cracks easily under thermal cycling,
stress or vibrations.

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some real
60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

Arent't there some legal issues with that?

**You tell us - ****head

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And would not give a **** if it was.

.... Phil

Well....
I found this:
Begin quote
.. I don't know whereabouts in the world you
are, but across Europe, strictly speaking, it is actually illegal to use
leaded solder, or non RoHS components, to repair anything manufactured in
lead-free after implementation of the RoHS directive, which was June 2006 (I
think) in the UK.
end quote.

so I asked...rather politely...I think...

I give the above quote more credence as it is not riddled with name calling
and four-letter terms of endearment. Also, the tone is quite civil.

Hmmmm...civil...I should find a word with which you'd likely be
familiar? It's about being nice to people.

Note that I didn't ask if YOU cared. I asked if there were issues.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message ...

In article , Charles
writes

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

This is a troll, isn't it?

No, just trying to learn. Why would you think that, BTW?
As to the other denizen with an itchy flame-thrower finger, of course I
Googled before posting here.
Newsgroups are getting awfully twitchy these days.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike" wrote in message
Phil Allison wrote:
"mike"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Charles"
[...]

I think that's one of mine ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" Meat Plow is a MORONIC ****HEAD "

** The simple truth.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike the moron "

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some real
60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

Arent't there some legal issues with that?

**You tell us - ****head

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And I would not give a **** if it was.

Well....
I found this:

** Totally asinine to post an unidentified quote.

How like you.

I give the above quote more credence..

** It says nothing different to my post.

I live in Sydney, Australia you know.

Note that I didn't ask if YOU cared. I asked if there were issues.

** I were given a precise, detailed reply that when right over your pointy
head.

**** off TROLL.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily"

I don't know whereabouts in the world you
are, but across Europe, strictly speaking, it is actually illegal to use
leaded solder, or non RoHS components, to repair anything manufactured in
lead-free after implementation of the RoHS directive, which was June 2006
(I
think) in the UK.

I think that's one of mine ...

** Find me one example of a person being successfully prosecuted over it.

There is virtually no way to get caught, no easy way for outsiders to know
and nobody gives a ****.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Adrian Tuddenham"

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

** The fines may exist in theory, but can you show if anyone has been fined
for using the wrong solder for repairs ?

There are many obvious, simple defences to such a charge and almost no way
to get caught.

Get real.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adrian Tuddenham wrote in message
nvalid.invalid...

wrote:

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

For the UK, section 14 of the RoHS Regulation

A producer putting non-compliant EEE on the market on or after 1st July 2006
shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding the statutory
maximum, which the Home Office says is currently £5,000. Or "on conviction
on indictment to fine" - there is no statutory maximum.

Producers failing to provide documents showing compliance within 28 days of
an official request shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not
exceeding level 5 on the standard scale. Level 5, coincidentally, is also
£5,000 at the moment.

Failing to retain technical documentation for four years after EEE has been
put on the market is also a not-exceeding-level-5 fine.

EEE= electrical and electronic equipment

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Nutcase Kook is a ****WIT "

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

For the UK, section 14 of the RoHS Regulation

A producer putting non-compliant EEE on the market ...

** WTF has that got to do with the QUESTION' ???

You ****ing imbecile ...

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily"

I don't know whereabouts in the world you
are, but across Europe, strictly speaking, it is actually illegal to use
leaded solder, or non RoHS components, to repair anything manufactured
in
lead-free after implementation of the RoHS directive, which was June
2006 (I
think) in the UK.

I think that's one of mine ...

** Find me one example of a person being successfully prosecuted over it.

Did I say that there was ? No.

There is virtually no way to get caught, no easy way for outsiders to know
and nobody gives a ****.

Nor did I say otherwise, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a possibility,
or that I am stating anything other than the facts. Look up the meaning of
your own word - "virtually". I suppose the poor ******* who got thrown in
prison here for selling his bananas by the pound instead of the kilo thought
the same thing. And if you don't know of that in Ozland, look up Steve
Thoburn. The fact of the matter is that it *is* illegal within the EU under
the terms of the directive, to carry out repairs to RoHS certified equipment
manufactured after June 2006 and using RoHS certified components and
lead-free solder, with anything other than RoHS certified components and
lead-free solder. None of us like it. All of us think it is stupid. But none
of that changes the facts. Nor does you running off at the mouth in your
usual way about how big and brave you are and don't give a ****. The *real*
fact of the matter is that you never know just who's spying on you via the
'net these days, and if one of the ecobollox EU people found someone on here
from the EU telling all how they also "don't give a ****", then you might
just finish up having your example of someone successfully prosecuted ... As
you don't live in the EU, you know nothing of the levels of bureaucracy and
petty mindedness of these officials.

Arfa

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"WangoTango"

Depends on where you are and if the device is yours or not.
Here in the US we can use real solder that really works, so no issue.
If you live where lead free is a commercial reality, who is going to
know if you use good old 60/40 (63/37) to fix your own stuff?

** Who is likely to ever know or care a hoot if it is not your own stuff ??

The only people who KNOW for sure if some product has Pb free solder in some
or all locations is the *******s who made it. And none of them are traceable
years after it is sold.

I mean the ACTUAL people - in China or wherever.

A product may be legitimately labelled " RoHS Compliant " though full of
leaded solder - cos it complies by exemption.

Marshall Amplification applied and got an exemption for the use of CdS cells
in their amps (even a few micrograms of Cadmium is verboten) - how
****ing absurd.

Strangely, Fender have obtained no such exemption are forced to no longer
use such cells in amps sold into Europe.

An elaborate PCB, fitted with numerous IC is fitted to TUBE amplifiers to
comply.

How ****ing ABSURD !!

I've reworked many lead free boards with lead solder, and we use 100's
of thousands of ROHS parts with good old 63/37.

** Same here.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely
to solder joints has kept many a service department busy.
Reworking with "decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

How would the government know? Are there solder Nazis breaking into service
shops, looking for rolls of illicit lead-based solder?

I hate callbacks. I would use lead-based solder on repairs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Marshall Amplification applied and got an exemption for the
use of CdS cells in their amps (even a few micrograms of
cadmium is verboten) -- how ****ing absurd.

Oh... my... God... I didn't know I was poisoning my subjects when I took
pictures of them with my classic Polaroid Colorpack cameras.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charles" wrote in message
Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

RoHS is an evil plot to do something - but its not clear exactly what!!!

The result out in the field is that electronic equipment is much less
reliable and has a maximum life expectancy of around a couple of years.

Since the now 5x (or more!) as much electronics scrap is no longer permitted
in landfill, it gets dumped on third world countries for slum dwellers to
pick over mounds of the stuff for recyclable materials.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck"

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely
to solder joints has kept many a service department busy.
Reworking with "decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

How would the government know? Are there solder Nazis breaking into
service
shops, looking for rolls of illicit lead-based solder?

I hate callbacks. I would use lead-based solder on repairs.

** For once, the Sommer****** posts something quite sensible.

Maybe there is still hope ...

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"mike the moron "

Standard procedure round here is to remove it with wick and use some
real
60/40 Savbit solder to make the repair.

Arent't there some legal issues with that?

**You tell us - ****head

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And I would not give a **** if it was.

Since RoHS, the WEEE directive has passed into law meaning that scrap
electronics are not permitted in landfill and have to be shredded for
recovery of recycleable materials, in theory this means that lead, Cd or
anything else is irrelevant.

In practice, lead free solder reliability issues result in such huge volumes
of scrap that it gets dumped on third world countries for slum dwellers to
pick over for recoverable metals.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Phil Allison" wrote:

" Meat Plow is a MORONIC ****HEAD "

** The simple truth.

.... Phil

Wow, Meat, you can predict the future! How about giving me this week's
winning lottery numbers?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:08:12 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

" Meat Plow is a MORONIC ****HEAD "

** The simple truth.

.... Phil

Phil Allison is as predictable as the eastern rising of the sun every
morning followed by it setting in the west. This is the quintessential
truth.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:22:29 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Phil Allison" wrote:

" Meat Plow is a MORONIC ****HEAD "

** The simple truth.

.... Phil

Wow, Meat, you can predict the future! How about giving me this week's
winning lottery numbers?

LOL. Phil is so predictable. Just like if you toss a coin in the air it's
a 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% chance it will land either heads
or tails.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely
to solder joints has kept many a service department busy.
Reworking with "decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

How would the government know? Are there solder Nazis breaking into service
shops, looking for rolls of illicit lead-based solder?

I hate callbacks. I would use lead-based solder on repairs.

The usual way the system operates is to pick on some luckless individual
who hasn't the resources to fight back and smash him to pieces in public
so it frightens everyone else. That's the way radio hams were kept in
line by the U.K. Post Office.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news:1k065wl.1q7rnpr1tk23cuN%adrian@poppyrecords. invalid.invalid...

wrote:

[...]

which relates to "producers", not repairers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Has this had any impact on repair and rework of electronic devices and
equipment?

Of course. *The increased number of failures due solely to solder
joints has kept many a service department busy. *Reworking with
"decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Not in Europe it isn't. *There are heavy fines for doing that.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
(Remove the ".invalid"s and add ".co.uk" to reply)www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Importing less cheap Chinese electronic garbage would have more
of an impact.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , William Sommerwerck
writes

I hate callbacks. I would use lead-based solder on repairs.

Me too, made sure I'm well stocked up on lead-based solder.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)