Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Noisy GE WPRE6100G1WT washing machine

This is not really an electronics problem, but members of this group
work on everything. If there's a more appropriate group, then I'll
gladly post the qustion over there.

We have a pretty new GE WPRE6100G1WT top load washing machine. We
purchased the machine in November 2008. It is used in a private
residence to run maybe 3 loads per week. The suspension rod assemblies
were replaced under warranty over a year ago.

New problem: seems to agitate much more quickly than expected. Also,
there are loud clanking signs at the end of each half of the agitation
motion. I mean, spin clockwise, CLANK, spin counterclockwise, CLANK.
Finally, for a few seconds on Saturday, a loud screeching came from
within during agitation. The screeching noise "went away by
itself." (I hate using that phrase, but it did.) There was no burning
smell.

If you overlook the noise, then you can go ahead and use the machine
to run a load of laundry. It completes a wash-spin-rinse-spin sequence
unevently, other than the noises. That screeching, the one time it
occurred, was quite disconcerting, though.

I'm thinking it's the transmission. We don't know if it is still under
warranty or not, and the GE call taker can't really advise on this. I
will see if I can find a GE technician later this afternoon.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Beloved Leader wrote in message
[...]

My halfpennyworth
Screech- slipping belt
clunks - loose or wonky bearing or bearing support

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 14, 1:35*pm, "N_Cook" wrote:
Beloved Leader wrote in message

My halfpennyworth
Screech- slipping belt
clunks - loose or wonky bearing or bearing support- Hide quoted text -

That the screech was caused by a slipping belt makes sense. I thought
of that too. The belt is barely over two years old, the same age as
the machine. There is good tension in the belt. I could not smell any
burning odor.

If it is the case that a tub shaft bearing is giving out, a seizure in
the bearing could cause the belt to slip against the drive pulley. The
ratio of the sizes of the two pulleys, drive and driven, is just about
that of a Dual belt drive turntable. Scale those up to washing machine
size, and you can imagine how big they are.

In the GE, the motor changes direction twice each agitation. It turns
the drum clockwise, stops, turns the drum counterclockwise, stops, and
then repeats that until the wash or rinse cycle stops. It does not
turn solely in one direction.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

[...]

Mm, I inclined to agree with N_Cook ! The clanking could be the heater
that has been damaged and catching the drum as it rotates or even coins
or bones from bras trapped inside.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

baron wrote in message
N_Cook Inscribed thus:

[...]

Talcum powder rubbed into a belt, although not a cure, may show whether the
belt is slipping, but not the cause ie if due to excess loading from binding
bearing etc