Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Beloved Leader Beloved Leader is offline

Default Noisy GE WPRE6100G1WT washing machine

This is not really an electronics problem, but members of this group
work on everything. If there's a more appropriate group, then I'll
gladly post the qustion over there.

We have a pretty new GE WPRE6100G1WT top load washing machine. We
purchased the machine in November 2008. It is used in a private
residence to run maybe 3 loads per week. The suspension rod assemblies
were replaced under warranty over a year ago.

New problem: seems to agitate much more quickly than expected. Also,
there are loud clanking signs at the end of each half of the agitation
motion. I mean, spin clockwise, CLANK, spin counterclockwise, CLANK.
Finally, for a few seconds on Saturday, a loud screeching came from
within during agitation. The screeching noise "went away by
itself." (I hate using that phrase, but it did.) There was no burning
smell.

If you overlook the noise, then you can go ahead and use the machine
to run a load of laundry. It completes a wash-spin-rinse-spin sequence
unevently, other than the noises. That screeching, the one time it
occurred, was quite disconcerting, though.

I'm thinking it's the transmission. We don't know if it is still under
warranty or not, and the GE call taker can't really advise on this. I
will see if I can find a GE technician later this afternoon.

Thanks.