Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default problems with my Adcom CD player

Hello,

I have a used ADCOM GCD-700 5 disk CD player that was given to me and it is
overly sensitive to vibrations, bumps and slight scratches on the CDs. I've
mounted it on vibration absorbing rubber and this has greatly impoved its
bump and vibration sensitivity, but it is still very sensitive to the
slightest mark or scratch on cds. How can I cure this.

thanks in advance,

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/20/2011 3:13 PM, Shaun wrote:
Hello,

I have a used ADCOM GCD-700 5 disk CD player that was given to me and it is
overly sensitive to vibrations, bumps and slight scratches on the CDs. I've
mounted it on vibration absorbing rubber and this has greatly impoved its
bump and vibration sensitivity, but it is still very sensitive to the
slightest mark or scratch on cds. How can I cure this.

thanks in advance,

Shaun

Shaun,

If this machine is as old as I think it is, then its not worth putting
any serious money into it. There is likely a manufacturing date on the
machine that will give the month and year it was made. Make sure if
there are any transit screws on the bottom they are removed or in the
released position.

You could try cleaning the lens and the disc platter. You'd have to
open the machine to do this. the lens is about the size of a pencil
eraser, and is on a suspension, so be gentle with it. I use a cotton
swab moistened with lens cleaning fluid, though Windex will probably do.
I also clean off the platter that the disc sits on while spinning.
I've seen enough debris build up on the platter over time that it no
longer lets the disc sit flat, and that can cause all kinds of grief.
Again, a moistened swab or slightly damp cloth is all you need to clean it.

Beyond that, you are likely to have a worn out laser, which is likely
to be more expensive to replace than the machine is worth.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:13:20 -0600, "Shaun" wrote:

I have a used ADCOM GCD-700 5 disk CD player that was given to me and it is
overly sensitive to vibrations, bumps and slight scratches on the CDs. I've
mounted it on vibration absorbing rubber and this has greatly impoved its
bump and vibration sensitivity, but it is still very sensitive to the
slightest mark or scratch on cds. How can I cure this.

First, clean out any crud from the laser head assembly. If that
doesn't improve things, replace it. That's a 1997 vintage machine so
parts may be tricky to find... Oh, too easy:
http://www.adcomparts.com/part.php?item=46001400
However, I don't think it's worth $50 to fix something that old.

Mo
http://www.fixya.com/support/p134391-adcom_gcd_700_5_disc_cd_changer
http://www.fixya.com/support/t648590-adcom_gcd_700_tracking_problems

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
[...]

This CD player is a higher quality model and one of the only multidisk units
that uses high quality components. Mechanically it's not made very well
though, but the electronic audio stages are all class A, so it's worth my
time and some money to try to fix it.

Thanks for your reply.

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the links, I'll probably order a new laser head for it, but first
I'll lake it apart and clean the lenses.

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Shaun" wrote in message

[...]

Absolutely clean it. Should help.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Shaun" wrote in message

[...]

KSS240A lasers should be available from many sources for much less than $50.
This is a very 'bog-standard' laser made by Sony, and used in many
manufacturers' products over the years, as well as their own. Try to make
sure if you get one from a cheaper source, that it is a genuine Sony one
though. Of all of the KSS series replacement lasers, I've found the '240 to
be probably the most critical, when used in most manufacturers' machines.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Shaun wrote in message

[...]

Then after cleaning and before ditching. Find the "power pot" ,measure
resistance with a DVM , "both ways" in case of a difference, so you can get
back to that value. Change the value , no more than 5 percent, to see if it
improves error proneness

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Shaun wrote in message

[...]

It's not quite that straightforward on a '240, as there are three pots on
there, and considerable interaction between them. I would not recommend
touching them, as at least one of them is *extremely* critical in its
setting to get the thing to play at all.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Shaun wrote in message

[...]

Which implies 3 analoguey things that could drift over time. I would take 3x
0.1 percent measurements and tabulate some twiddlings v drop-out time of a
known bad ie deliberately scratched track on a CD. As last legs anyway,
nothing to loose except a bit of time

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Shaun wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure I can find a few CDs that are scratched in my collection.

shaun