Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

Default problems with my Adcom CD player

On 2/20/2011 3:13 PM, Shaun wrote:
Hello,

I have a used ADCOM GCD-700 5 disk CD player that was given to me and it is
overly sensitive to vibrations, bumps and slight scratches on the CDs. I've
mounted it on vibration absorbing rubber and this has greatly impoved its
bump and vibration sensitivity, but it is still very sensitive to the
slightest mark or scratch on cds. How can I cure this.

thanks in advance,

Shaun

Shaun,

If this machine is as old as I think it is, then its not worth putting
any serious money into it. There is likely a manufacturing date on the
machine that will give the month and year it was made. Make sure if
there are any transit screws on the bottom they are removed or in the
released position.

You could try cleaning the lens and the disc platter. You'd have to
open the machine to do this. the lens is about the size of a pencil
eraser, and is on a suspension, so be gentle with it. I use a cotton
swab moistened with lens cleaning fluid, though Windex will probably do.
I also clean off the platter that the disc sits on while spinning.
I've seen enough debris build up on the platter over time that it no
longer lets the disc sit flat, and that can cause all kinds of grief.
Again, a moistened swab or slightly damp cloth is all you need to clean it.

Beyond that, you are likely to have a worn out laser, which is likely
to be more expensive to replace than the machine is worth.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics