Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default problems with my Adcom CD player

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Shaun wrote in message

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:13:20 -0600, "Shaun" wrote:

I have a used ADCOM GCD-700 5 disk CD player that was given to me and
it
is
overly sensitive to vibrations, bumps and slight scratches on the CDs.
I've
mounted it on vibration absorbing rubber and this has greatly impoved

its
bump and vibration sensitivity, but it is still very sensitive to the
slightest mark or scratch on cds. How can I cure this.

First, clean out any crud from the laser head assembly. If that
doesn't improve things, replace it. That's a 1997 vintage machine so
parts may be tricky to find... Oh, too easy:
http://www.adcomparts.com/part.php?item=46001400
However, I don't think it's worth $50 to fix something that old.

Mo
http://www.fixya.com/support/p134391-adcom_gcd_700_5_disc_cd_changer
http://www.fixya.com/support/t648590-adcom_gcd_700_tracking_problems

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Thanks for the links, I'll probably order a new laser head for it, but

first
I'll lake it apart and clean the lenses.

Shaun

Then after cleaning and before ditching. Find the "power pot" ,measure
resistance with a DVM , "both ways" in case of a difference, so you can
get
back to that value. Change the value , no more than 5 percent, to see if
it
improves error proneness

It's not quite that straightforward on a '240, as there are three pots on
there, and considerable interaction between them. I would not recommend
touching them, as at least one of them is *extremely* critical in its
setting to get the thing to play at all.

Arfa