Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bakelite Asbestos

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which
kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite,
and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new
bakelite
without asbestos?

** Ever heard of Google and Wiki ?

ANy clues?

** Not likely from you.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:15:33 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which
kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite,
and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new
bakelite
without asbestos?

** Ever heard of Google and Wiki ?

ANy clues?

** Not likely from you.

.... Phil

Damn, took the words out of my mouth...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Only worry if it's fluffy bakelite.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 06:58:09 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

It's your chance to get rich quick. For example:
http://www.mesotheliomacenter.org/mesothelioma-news/2002/07/30/asbestos-verdict-nets-42-million-award-for-san-ramon-terminal-cancer-patient-is-the-first-involving-bakelite/
Claim that you're suffering from cancer of the vocabulary, induced by
your proximity to asbestos infested bakelite electrical hardware, and
collect a small fortune. With asbestos claims, you don't even have to
prove medical damage, just exposure, as juries tend to assume that
there will eventually be health effects. Second hand exposure is also
actionable so be sure to get the relatives involved.

Incidentally, a few years ago, I sold a rental house with exterior
asbestos wallboard on the outside of the house. Prior to the sale, I
was incorrectly informed that I would need to contract with a
hazardous materials removal company that specialized in asbestos
removal and disposal. The initial low estimate was $35,000. Ouch.

The buyer was a general contractor and apparently knew more about the
asbestos situation than local planning department. He indicated that
it was better to leave things in place, and seal it under a layer of
exterior paneling, than to remove the asbestos, which would certainly
produce considerable dangerous dust.

If you're worried about asbestos, just replace the electrical outlets,
or make sure you don't grind or break them.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Google *IS* the problem, don't trust it. Look online and all you see is
trial lawyers saying all bakelite has asbestos. It doesn't. Bakelite can be
made into a composite by mixing it with glass, slate or asbestos.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm