Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Bakelite Asbestos

In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

wrote:
By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which
kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite,
and
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new
bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

Unless you are grinding the Bakelite product into a powder and snorting
it I'd not worry about it...

John :-#)#

The wikipedia article should answer the OPs questions, but I can tell
you that machining phenolics is an easy way to produce snortable powder.
Covers the every square inch of the entire shop with a very fine dust.

Granted but the original question was actually about old bakelite
outlets - I do not think he was going to be machining them - rather it
sounded like he wasn't sure if he should be concerned about them
containing asbestos. Hence my somewhat flippant answer.

John :-#)#

You played the thread drift card, I was just following suit ...