DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bakelite Asbestos (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/318555-bakelite-asbestos.html)

[email protected] February 10th 11 06:58 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Phil Allison[_2_] February 10th 11 07:15 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which
kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite,
and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new
bakelite
without asbestos?

** Ever heard of Google and Wiki ?

ANy clues?

** Not likely from you.

..... Phil

PeterD February 10th 11 12:57 PM

Bakelite Asbestos

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:15:33 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which
kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite,
and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new
bakelite
without asbestos?

** Ever heard of Google and Wiki ?

ANy clues?

** Not likely from you.

.... Phil

Damn, took the words out of my mouth...

John Robertson February 10th 11 05:26 PM

Bakelite Asbestos

wrote:
By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

Unless you are grinding the Bakelite product into a powder and snorting
it I'd not worry about it...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Smitty Two February 11th 11 02:20 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

wrote:
By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new
bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

Unless you are grinding the Bakelite product into a powder and snorting
it I'd not worry about it...

John :-#)#

The wikipedia article should answer the OPs questions, but I can tell
you that machining phenolics is an easy way to produce snortable powder.
Covers the every square inch of the entire shop with a very fine dust.

LSMFT[_2_] February 11th 11 03:17 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

wrote:
By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Only worry if it's fluffy bakelite.

John Robertson February 12th 11 06:25 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

wrote:
By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new
bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

Unless you are grinding the Bakelite product into a powder and snorting
it I'd not worry about it...

John :-#)#

The wikipedia article should answer the OPs questions, but I can tell
you that machining phenolics is an easy way to produce snortable powder.
Covers the every square inch of the entire shop with a very fine dust.

Granted but the original question was actually about old bakelite
outlets - I do not think he was going to be machining them - rather it
sounded like he wasn't sure if he should be concerned about them
containing asbestos. Hence my somewhat flippant answer.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Smitty Two February 13th 11 04:13 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You played the thread drift card, I was just following suit ...

Jeff Liebermann February 13th 11 04:56 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 06:58:09 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

By some accounts the original bakelite was up to half asbestos (which kind?
WHite or blue?). I saw online some electrical outlets made of bakelite, and I
was wondering if it really is bakelite, and if so if there is a new bakelite
without asbestos? ANy clues?

It's your chance to get rich quick. For example:
http://www.mesotheliomacenter.org/mesothelioma-news/2002/07/30/asbestos-verdict-nets-42-million-award-for-san-ramon-terminal-cancer-patient-is-the-first-involving-bakelite/
Claim that you're suffering from cancer of the vocabulary, induced by
your proximity to asbestos infested bakelite electrical hardware, and
collect a small fortune. With asbestos claims, you don't even have to
prove medical damage, just exposure, as juries tend to assume that
there will eventually be health effects. Second hand exposure is also
actionable so be sure to get the relatives involved.

Incidentally, a few years ago, I sold a rental house with exterior
asbestos wallboard on the outside of the house. Prior to the sale, I
was incorrectly informed that I would need to contract with a
hazardous materials removal company that specialized in asbestos
removal and disposal. The initial low estimate was $35,000. Ouch.

The buyer was a general contractor and apparently knew more about the
asbestos situation than local planning department. He indicated that
it was better to leave things in place, and seal it under a layer of
exterior paneling, than to remove the asbestos, which would certainly
produce considerable dangerous dust.

If you're worried about asbestos, just replace the electrical outlets,
or make sure you don't grind or break them.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

[email protected] February 13th 11 09:27 AM

Bakelite Asbestos

Google *IS* the problem, don't trust it. Look online and all you see is
trial lawyers saying all bakelite has asbestos. It doesn't. Bakelite can be
made into a composite by mixing it with glass, slate or asbestos.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm