Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Porcelain vs. bakelite socket

I need to repair a pole lamp; one of the sockets went bad. The lamp
currently has porcelain sockets, in particular they are bottom knob turn
sockets. Not only can't I find a replacement socket at Home Depot / Lowes,
I can't even find a porcelain one on the web. I can only find bakelite.
Does bakelite withstand as much heat as porcelain?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

KenM wrote:
I need to repair a pole lamp; one of the sockets went bad. The lamp
currently has porcelain sockets, in particular they are bottom knob turn
sockets. Not only can't I find a replacement socket at Home Depot / Lowes,
I can't even find a porcelain one on the web. I can only find bakelite.
Does bakelite withstand as much heat as porcelain?

Bakelite, phenolics, most electrical grade thermosets don't come close
to porcelain in high temperature performance. That's why the lamp maker
chose it.
You have some options: 1) contact the lamp maker for a new socket. 2)
Check McMaster-Carr or Grainger catalogs. 3) Find a friendly warehouse
where the pros buy their stuff and buy a Pass & Seymour Cat # 3152-8,
9880, 10045 or 10085 socket to fit your lamp. 4) Check Yellow pages for
a lamp specialty house if you live in one of the larger cities. 5) Find
a used furniture outlet and buy a lamp with a salvageable socket. 6)
put the lamp out for your yard sale and buy a new one.
You may be stuck with a totally unique design, in which case #1 is your
only choice. Good luck.

Joe

rcd socket placement/spur James UK diy 2 August 18th 06 12:55 PM
Loft power socket? - UK diy 7 July 12th 06 11:54 AM
Weird phone wiring with new flat - help needed with BT Broadband and master socket kiich UK diy 30 August 31st 05 12:04 AM
lamp socket mounting sizes (not bulb size) Ben Home Repair 2 December 30th 03 08:09 PM
Question regarding adding an extra socket to the ring main Fiona Reid UK diy 10 September 3rd 03 05:45 PM