Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Furby repair

If you think you're a real technician, just wait until a little girl
brings you her dead Furby she loves and begs you to resurrect him/her/it.

30 years of military and civilian electronics repair experience is no
match for a dead Furby.

After considerable research into Furby electro-mechanics, I discovered an
intermittent limit switch in the flambastic transwobulator had sent
negative vibrations to the transwobulator's flabillitator in such a way
that further transwobulation was impossible as it put the transwobulator
into a state very simular to a human coma.

A couple of strokes of my relay contact burnisher and a tiny squirt of
magic WD-40 brought Furby back from the grave, much to the delight of his
owner, who now thinks I have more magic powers than any religious leader
in the Universe....(c;]

I'm terrified more dead Furbys will materialize at the hands of crying
little girls who are born to wrap 65 year old electronics technicians
around their little fingers......Failure is not an option!

Absolutely nothing I ever repaired, calibrated or overhauled has been
anywhere near as rewarding at that dead Furby.

(Service hint - Mommy does NOT know what batteries in the drawer are dead
and which ones are good, even though she thinks they are "new".)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fred wrote in
:

(Service hint - Mommy does NOT know what batteries in the drawer are
dead and which ones are good, even though she thinks they are "new".)

Additional service hint - Furby's skin comes off like a t-shirt once you
cut the tywrap from around his bottom groove. Don't forget to replace his
tywrap upon successful completion because "we don't want anyone to see him
naked."....her words...(c;]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1/26/2011 12:01 AM, Fred wrote:
If you think you're a real technician, just wait until a little girl
brings you her dead Furby she loves and begs you to resurrect him/her/it.

30 years of military and civilian electronics repair experience is no
match for a dead Furby.

The old "Worlds of Wonder" animated toys (Teddy Ruxpin, Snoopy, Goofy,
Mickey Mouse, etc.) make Furby's look like a walk in the park. While
fixing them is possible, doing so in a cosmetically acceptable way
is the tough part!

(I "collect" them and "repurpose" them which means "guts transplants")
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Good on ya, and thanks for sharing that story, nicely done.

BTW, DeoxIt products by Caig Labs (even available at that Shack store) are
the ideal products for most of the low voltage switch contacts that anyone
is likely to encounter.

I prefer no to flood switching devices, but instead, apply the DeoxIT only
to the contacts when possible.
I transfer spray DeoxIt into small poly bottles that have "one drop" tips
(such as eye drops/Visine) then fit the tip with a needle (sharp point into
the bottle, not exposed) to use as a precise applicator. After
drilling/making a tiny hole in the hard cap, it can be installed for a
little more needle-tip stability.

Anglers may be familiar with small needle-tipped bottles that are used to
inject air into nightcrawlers to make them float/not drop to the bottom. The
tips are sharp, but were easily pulled out and inserted back into the bottle
tip with sharp point inward.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Fred" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 26, 1:01*am, Fred wrote:
[...]

Fred, 1st you mention a "little girl" and "she"...then you say "his"
owner?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 26, 1:01*am, Fred wrote:
[...]

It also sounds like you're more of a mechanic than a etech on this
one. ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Fred, 1st you mention a "little girl" and "she"...then you say "his"
owner?

I see no inconsistencies.

"little girl" and the first instance of "she" would refer to the child who
owns the toy.

"his" would refer back to the Furby itself, anthropomorphizing it in the
male gender. So yes, "his owner" meaning the Furby's owner, again meaning
the little girl.

The second instance of "she" would refer to the Mommy with the drawer of
batteries.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:01:30 +0000, Fred wrote:

I'm terrified more dead Furbys will materialize at the hands of crying
little girls who are born to wrap 65 year old electronics technicians
around their little fingers......Failure is not an option!

Well, according to Wikipedia, there were 40 million Furby's sold. I'll
assume that half were sold in the USA. The 0-14 year old population
is about 30 million, resulting in fairly good chance that almost every
brat you know has a Furby buried somewhere under the toy pile. Your
only safe option is to avoid crying little girls and their desperate
parents.

Absolutely nothing I ever repaired, calibrated or overhauled has been
anywhere near as rewarding at that dead Furby.

After than computer crime, fixing toys does tend to be rewarding.
Unfortunately, most toys are designed to be assembled, not
disassembled or repaired. If the challenge is your forte, you found
it.

In my non-existent spare time, I also fix bicycles.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/
All too often, the neighborhood brats dump their machines on my
doorstep with scribbled instructions to fix the bike or they'll slash
my car tires. Seems like a fair exchange. Since I have this
masochistic urge to fix anything, I usually perform the necessary
bicycle repairs. In gratitude, they ride off yelling "see ya".
Methinks Furby repair would be easier and more gratifying.

(Service hint - Mommy does NOT know what batteries in the drawer are dead
and which ones are good, even though she thinks they are "new".)

All batteries not in their original shrink wrap, customer proof,
bubble packaging, are presumed to be dead. "Shelf Life" is somewhat
of an oxymoron as no batteries sitting on the shelf are ever found to
be usable.

Incidentally, my rule of thumb is "if it moves, it breaks".
Unfortunately, almost everything inside the Furby moves, so there's
plenty of room for failures.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 26, 11:10*am, Steve Kraus
wrote:
Fred, 1st you mention a "little girl" and "she"...then you say "his"
owner?

I see no inconsistencies.

"little girl" and the first instance of "she" would refer to the child who
owns the toy.

"his" would refer back to the Furby itself, anthropomorphizing it in the
male gender. *So yes, "his owner" meaning the Furby's owner, again meaning
the little girl.

The second instance of "she" would refer to the Mommy with the drawer of
batteries.

Excuse my lapse of consciousness.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob Villa wrote in news:3066f71c-6626-4f5c-a623-
:

Fred, 1st you mention a "little girl" and "she"...then you say "his"
owner?

It assumes Furby is a boy.

Sorry if that offends you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Steve Kraus wrote in
m:

Fred, 1st you mention a "little girl" and "she"...then you say "his"
owner?

I see no inconsistencies.

"little girl" and the first instance of "she" would refer to the child
who owns the toy.

"his" would refer back to the Furby itself, anthropomorphizing it in
the male gender. So yes, "his owner" meaning the Furby's owner, again
meaning the little girl.

The second instance of "she" would refer to the Mommy with the drawer
of batteries.

I'm a newbie here. Didn't know each post came with an English
professor....(c;]
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 26, 8:46*pm, Fred wrote:
Bob Villa wrote in news:cb763523-6665-4117-a226-
:

It also sounds like you're more of a mechanic than a etech on this
one. ;-)

Actually, my specialty is metrology. *My last serious job, before moving
on to the electronic organ/keyboard business in the late 1980's, was as a
GS-11 Electronic Technician at the Charleston Naval Shipyard's Metrology
Laboratory.

Since 1964, when I joined the Navy to avoid being murdered for the
military contractors profits in Vietnam, I've been in military
electronics most of the time. *In 1977-79, I spent 2.5 years building a
metrology laboratory at Iranian Air Force Headquarters, Tehran for a US
contractor. *I've been back to the MidEast many times for our military
and others.

Think I can qualify as an electronics technician? *I taught them at
Sumter Area Technical College, Sumter, SC, for 7 years from '71 to '78. *
Great fun if you don't need money to live on.

I didn't say you weren't qualified...I was rating the specific repair
ability required. You need not get your leotards in a bunch.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Furby Autopsy: http://www.phobe.com/furby/index.html