Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Furby repair

Good on ya, and thanks for sharing that story, nicely done.

BTW, DeoxIt products by Caig Labs (even available at that Shack store) are
the ideal products for most of the low voltage switch contacts that anyone
is likely to encounter.

I prefer no to flood switching devices, but instead, apply the DeoxIT only
to the contacts when possible.
I transfer spray DeoxIt into small poly bottles that have "one drop" tips
(such as eye drops/Visine) then fit the tip with a needle (sharp point into
the bottle, not exposed) to use as a precise applicator. After
drilling/making a tiny hole in the hard cap, it can be installed for a
little more needle-tip stability.

Anglers may be familiar with small needle-tipped bottles that are used to
inject air into nightcrawlers to make them float/not drop to the bottom. The
tips are sharp, but were easily pulled out and inserted back into the bottle
tip with sharp point inward.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Fred" wrote in message
.. .
If you think you're a real technician, just wait until a little girl
brings you her dead Furby she loves and begs you to resurrect him/her/it.

30 years of military and civilian electronics repair experience is no
match for a dead Furby.

After considerable research into Furby electro-mechanics, I discovered an
intermittent limit switch in the flambastic transwobulator had sent
negative vibrations to the transwobulator's flabillitator in such a way
that further transwobulation was impossible as it put the transwobulator
into a state very simular to a human coma.

A couple of strokes of my relay contact burnisher and a tiny squirt of
magic WD-40 brought Furby back from the grave, much to the delight of his
owner, who now thinks I have more magic powers than any religious leader
in the Universe....(c;]

I'm terrified more dead Furbys will materialize at the hands of crying
little girls who are born to wrap 65 year old electronics technicians
around their little fingers......Failure is not an option!

Absolutely nothing I ever repaired, calibrated or overhauled has been
anywhere near as rewarding at that dead Furby.

(Service hint - Mommy does NOT know what batteries in the drawer are dead
and which ones are good, even though she thinks they are "new".)