Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT? How did they do the double image on the Patti Duke show?

OT? How did they do the double image on the Patti Duke show?

Does anyone know how they showed two of her at the same time?
I'm watching reruns now on an 19" tv now, from one foot away, and I
can't see line or anything. Sometimes they just show the back of the
head of a double for the second one, but other times they show both of
them. Nothing shows and and I don't think they had green-screen
electronic technology then. Was there a physical or photographic
method of separating one moving image from its background and
superimposing it on another?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:26:08 -0500, mm
wrote:

OT? How did they do the double image on the Patti Duke show?

Does anyone know how they showed two of her at the same time?
I'm watching reruns now on an 19" tv now, from one foot away, and I
can't see line or anything. Sometimes they just show the back of the
head of a double for the second one, but other times they show both of
them. Nothing shows and and I don't think they had green-screen
electronic technology then. Was there a physical or photographic
method of separating one moving image from its background and
superimposing it on another?

Split screen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_screen_%28film%29

Rita McLaughlin sometimes played the identical twin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Patty_Duke_Show#Visual_effects
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_McLaughlin

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 21, 5:26*am, mm wrote:
OT? *How did they do the double image on the Patti Duke show?

Does anyone know how they showed two of her at the same time?
I'm watching reruns now on an 19" tv now, from one foot away, and I
can't see line or anything. *Sometimes they just show the back of the
head of a double for the second one, but other times they show both of
them. *Nothing shows and and I don't think they had green-screen
electronic technology then. *Was there a physical or photographic
method of separating one moving image from its background and
superimposing it on another?

Look to see if there is ever any overlap. If the two images are always
left screen/right screen with a gap between, then it is likely simple
split screen. If it is done well, the only indication is an occasional
shadow cut off at the 'dodged' [fuzzed] boundry. Early 'blue screen'
had problems with the edges so it was usually fairly obvious.

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Split screen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_screen_%28film%29

This article is incomplete. Split screen was traditionally done in-camera,
using a "matte box". This device -- which is basically a black-painted box
resembling a rectangular lens shade -- sits in front of the camera and
blocks half the image. Once the actor has performed one role, the film is
rewound and the matte box flipped. The edge of the box is tapered in such a
way that there is a gradual, calculated fall-off in light intensity at the
inner edge, allowing the images to blend without an obvious "seam".

One of the most-famous uses of matte-box split screen occurs in Buster
Keaton's "The Playhouse", where he appears nine times in the same scene!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Playhouse_%28film%29

It's also possible to create a dynamic split screen in an optical printer.
This was most-famously done in "Bringing Up Baby", where we see Cary Grant
leave Katherine Hepburn's apartment, followed (IIRC) by George, then Baby.
As it would have been extremely difficult to choreograph/synchronize the
movements of the animals, this scene was printed from three strips of film.
If you look closely, you can see the join line moving across the image.

Digital technology makes split-screen effects almost trivial. The first time
I saw a digital split screen was in an episode of ST:TNG where a character
materialized from the transporter, then moved across the image without a
cut. My jaw hung open for a few seconds, because I knew that wasn't possible
in-camera. I then realized how it had to have been done.

Digital split screen is extremely flexible, because the dividing line can
have any shape and be anywhere in the image, and can move or change shape
from frame to frame.

Split-screen devices have been made for still cameras, most notably
Polaroids.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

OT? How did they do the double image on the Patti Duke show?

Does anyone know how they showed two of her at the same time?
I'm watching reruns now on an 19" tv now, from one foot away, and I
can't see line or anything. Sometimes they just show the back of the
head of a double for the second one, but other times they show both of
them. Nothing shows and and I don't think they had green-screen
electronic technology then. Was there a physical or photographic
method of separating one moving image from its background and
superimposing it on another?

There was "brightness key" technology in the days of black & white TV
the precursor of color-key (commonly called blue screen, although
green screen is also used). It was used for commercials on the Dinah
Shore Show (among other things). It did require care in lighting the
scene which was to have an insert. One of the comments about the
technology was "Dinah Shore could have wound up with a Chevy in her
mouth".

John
Now realizing how many years I have spent in media technology...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:02:25 -0500, news wrote:

[...]

Chroma key was what it was known as when color tv debuted.