Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] news@jecarter.us is offline

Default OT? How did they do the double image on the Patti Duke show?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:26:08 -0500, mm
wrote:

OT? How did they do the double image on the Patti Duke show?

Does anyone know how they showed two of her at the same time?
I'm watching reruns now on an 19" tv now, from one foot away, and I
can't see line or anything. Sometimes they just show the back of the
head of a double for the second one, but other times they show both of
them. Nothing shows and and I don't think they had green-screen
electronic technology then. Was there a physical or photographic
method of separating one moving image from its background and
superimposing it on another?

There was "brightness key" technology in the days of black & white TV
the precursor of color-key (commonly called blue screen, although
green screen is also used). It was used for commercials on the Dinah
Shore Show (among other things). It did require care in lighting the
scene which was to have an insert. One of the comments about the
technology was "Dinah Shore could have wound up with a Chevy in her
mouth".

John
Now realizing how many years I have spent in media technology...