Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV picture distorted

Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks for your replies!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PE"

Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom
described above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering
skills, and have done a few simple tv repairs in the past.

** The symptoms suggest a cracked solder joint that is expanding as the temp
rises.

But you failed to mention how quickly the symptom arrives and leaves - so
it is not clear if my scenario applies.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PE" wrote in message
m...
Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom
described above. Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering
skills, and have done a few simple tv repairs in the past. Thanks for
your replies!

horizontal coupling cap
faulty yoke
or flyback tranformer circuit
pincushion transformer circuit
or try here
http://www.devileye.net/catalog/boil...r_circuit.html

or
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cu it&spell=1

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 17, 1:10*am, "``ZACK``" wrote:
"PE" wrote in message

m... Hi all: *My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. *Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. *If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. *However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom
described above. *Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering
skills, and have done a few simple tv repairs in the past. *Thanks for
your replies!

horizontal coupling cap
faulty yoke
or flyback tranformer circuit
pincushion transformer circuit
or try herehttp://www.devileye.net/catalog/boiling_liquefied_gas/side_pincushion...

orhttp://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bCP&rls=org...

DIdn't you get enough relies on alt.home.repair????

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"PE"

Why ask a question to which you obviously already know the answer? What's
your point?

** The only questions really worth asking someone are ones where you * know
* what the answer is.

Think about it.....

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Jan 17, 3:11*am, "PE" wrote:
Hi all: *My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently developed a
problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being turned on, the picture
bows inward on the left and right sides. *Then, after a few more minutes,
the picture resolves and returns to normal and remains perfect for the
remaining time the tv is on. *If the symptom described above means the crt
is wearing out, so be it, the set will soon be history. *However, I'm
wondering whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom described
above. *Am basically novice, but handy and with soldering skills, and have
done a few simple tv repairs in the past. *Thanks for your replies!

resolder the connections of the coils in the E-W correction circuit,
common fault. Nothing to do with the tube. Do be aware of high
voltages in tvs, see the www.repairfaq.org before proceeding.
good luck
-B