Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD help needed

All:
I have attempted to view a new DVD (with DVD-Video and it's subsequent AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
folders) someone sent me; but, it does the following. It cannot be played on my two Samsung Blu Ray
players or on my Philips DVD recorder/player. I try to play it in either one of my DVD burners/players in
my HP PC with Kubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7; but, it only plays when I click on "All" and not on
"Selected Episodes".
I have edited out the Menu and have copied all the four titles to another DVD. Again, the same things
happen to me.
Any ideas about why this DVD would do this?

Keith
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On 01/10/2011 08:22 PM, Keith wrote:
All:
I have attempted to view a new DVD (with DVD-Video and it's subsequent AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
folders) someone sent me; but, it does the following. It cannot be played on my two Samsung Blu Ray
players or on my Philips DVD recorder/player. I try to play it in either one of my DVD burners/players in
my HP PC with Kubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7; but, it only plays when I click on "All" and not on
"Selected Episodes".
I have edited out the Menu and have copied all the four titles to another DVD. Again, the same things
happen to me.
Any ideas about why this DVD would do this?

Keith

Try installing VLC

it should work for most all video
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/01/2011 9:22 PM, Keith wrote:
All:
I have attempted to view a new DVD (with DVD-Video and it's subsequent AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
folders) someone sent me; but, it does the following. It cannot be played on my two Samsung Blu Ray
players or on my Philips DVD recorder/player. I try to play it in either one of my DVD burners/players in
my HP PC with Kubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7; but, it only plays when I click on "All" and not on
"Selected Episodes".
I have edited out the Menu and have copied all the four titles to another DVD. Again, the same things
happen to me.
Any ideas about why this DVD would do this?

Keith

I think you've been DRMed.

If it's a commercial DVD, it could be the wrong region. If it's a ripped
DVD, then the anti-piracy software in the Blu-Ray player kicks in.

Etc.

Wolf K.
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 02:22:24 +0000, Keith wrote:

All:
I have attempted to view a new DVD (with DVD-Video and it's subsequent
AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
folders) someone sent me; but, it does the following. It cannot be
played on my two Samsung Blu Ray players or on my Philips DVD
recorder/player. I try to play it in either one of my DVD
burners/players in my HP PC with Kubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7; but, it
only plays when I click on "All" and not on "Selected Episodes".
I have edited out the Menu and have copied all the four titles to
another DVD. Again, the same things
happen to me.
Any ideas about why this DVD would do this?

Keith

You need the files that tell the player things about titles/chapters/
menus. These are known as navigation files ending in .IFO
If you just stick the VOB container files in VIDEO_TS this is not
good enough and don't stand much chance playing on anything but a PC and
only if you click on the VOB files and they are associated with a multi
media player that can play them.

http://club.myce.com/f62/tutorial-dv...ructure-77646/