Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How long do LED and/or LCD TVs last?

All:
How old is your LED/LCD TV; and, does it still work as it did when you first bought it?

Keith
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:04:00 +0000, Keith wrote:

All:
How old is your LED/LCD TV; and, does it still work as it did when you
first bought it?

Keith

The technology is only a couple years old.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:04:00 +0000 (UTC), Keith
wrote:

All:
How old is your LED/LCD TV; and, does it still work as it did when you first bought it?
Keith

Most LED backlit TV manufacturers are claiming 100,000 hr lifetime.
http://www.mimaki-ls.com/Pdf/appnote/AN-103%20LED%20Light%20Lifetime.pdf
If you watch 8 hrs of TV per day, that's 12,500 days, or 34.2 years.
However, that rating is the time to where the brightness deteriorates
to *HALF* the original brightness. Methinks you will probably find it
irritating well before that point. At a 30% drop, my guess(tm) is
about 20,000 hrs or 6.8 years maximum before the wife and kids start
to complain.

The various color LED's deteriorate at different rates. In order for
LED illumination to work, the TV needs to have the combined color
balance continuously (dynamically) set to white, and will therefore
automagically compensate for any color drift due to aging. You will
probably notice some inconsistency in the background white level as
individual LED's age at different rates (heavily dependent on
temperature distribution).

It's far too soon to tell if the crystal ball gazers and number
jugglers are accurate for LED TV's. For practical purposes, assume
that the TV will last 1 day longer than the warranty period, that
overall quality will deteriorate as prices drop, and that repair parts
will be unobtainable when it finally fails.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

http://www.mimaki-ls.com/Pdf/appnote...%20Lifetime.pd
If you watch 8 hrs of TV per day, that's 12,500 days, or 34.2 years.
However, that rating is the time to where the brightness deteriorates
to *HALF* the original brightness. Methinks you will probably find it
irritating well before that point. At a 30% drop, my guess(tm) is
about 20,000 hrs or 6.8 years maximum before the wife and kids start
to complain.

The various color LED's deteriorate at different rates. In order for
LED illumination to work, the TV needs to have the combined color
balance continuously (dynamically) set to white, and will therefore
automagically compensate for any color drift due to aging. You will
probably notice some inconsistency in the background white level as
individual LED's age at different rates (heavily dependent on
temperature distribution).

how does a TV "dynamically" set it's white balance?

It's far too soon to tell if the crystal ball gazers and number
jugglers are accurate for LED TV's. For practical purposes, assume
that the TV will last 1 day longer than the warranty period, that
overall quality will deteriorate as prices drop, and that repair parts
will be unobtainable when it finally fails.

LCD TVs are the ones that won't last long;
the ones with fluorescent backlights using HV drivers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 12:31:31 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Mo
"How Long do LCD TVs Last?"
http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcdtv-lifetime.shtml

"LED TV Technology Pros and Cons"
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/led-tv/led-tv-pro-con.html

The various color LED's deteriorate at different rates. In order for
LED illumination to work, the TV needs to have the combined color
balance continuously (dynamically) set to white, and will therefore
automagically compensate for any color drift due to aging. You will
probably notice some inconsistency in the background white level as
individual LED's age at different rates (heavily dependent on
temperature distribution).

how does a TV "dynamically" set it's white balance?

I was told that with edge lit LED TV's, there are some photo
transistors scattered around the edge of the LCD along with the LED's.
Turn on each color in sequence, measure the light output, and adjust
the LED power to some desired reference. What I don't know is whether
the algorithm involves increasing the current to the low output LED,
which may cause a rather short lifetime, or whether it reduces the
current to all the other LED's, which will cause overall reduced white
output. I think the method is similar with back illuminated LED's
(local dimming), but I don't have any details. I presume that there
are patents on the topic, but I don't want to go digging right now.

OLED (organic LED) panels are the ones that worry me. They are known
to have a short lifetime (15,000 hrs to half brightness).

"LED TV Local Dimming Backlighting vs. LED TV Edge lit Backlighting;
Which is Better?"
http://www.led-tvbuyingguide.com/ledtv/edge-light-vs-local-dimming.html

LCD TVs are the ones that won't last long;
the ones with fluorescent backlights using HV drivers.

I see plenty of those panels in laptops using CCFL (cold cathode
fluorescent) tubes. Some brands die early, but most of what I've seen
lasts longer than the rest of the laptop. Unfortunately, perception
is everything, and the expected lifetime of a laptop is probably about
8 years. My guess(tm) is that the expected lifetime of the TV is much
longer. What I usually see in both laptops and TV's is a blown
backlighting HV inverter circuit or board. The CCFL tubes don't seem
to be a problem.

However, I wouldn't worry much about failure rate. LCD will be
obsolete once we get 3D projection TV as in Star Trek Holodeck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 27, 9:30*am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:04:00 +0000, Keith wrote:
All:
*How old is your LED/LCD TV; and, does it still work as it did when you
*first bought it?

Keith

The technology is only a couple years old.

_______________________
Depends on the settings. Having it calibrated will increase its life.

Buy two of the same exact make & model. Run them continously until
one of them quits. The catch is, take one of the sets out of "Vivid"
or "Dynamic" mode and put in "Movie" mode. Guarantee you that one
will outlast the one left in Vivid. Same goes for older 'tube' sets.
First thing I did out of the box was lower the contrast to the
midpoint position, and set color temp to medium or warm.

-CC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I thought the LED in LED tv was referring to the backlight method,
rather that the actual screen itself. Maybe I'm not clued up.

A Long Long Tale of B&Q Mixer Taps michael adams[_3_] UK diy 3 October 28th 09 10:59 PM
8' long rip on TS MikeWhy Woodworking 42 December 18th 08 06:01 PM
O/T: We've Come a LONG Way Lew Hodgett[_2_] Woodworking 90 June 9th 08 12:06 AM
How long does it take? Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 28 January 26th 06 04:10 AM
Shock well - how long is too long? S.L. Home Ownership 1 January 16th 05 10:43 PM