Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default mis-connecting audio and composite video

What happens (in terms of damage) if you connect an audio signal to a
composite video input or composite video to an audio input?

I have an old Sony camcorder that has single-channel audio + composite
video out from a 3.5 mm (1/8") jack. The "correct" cable has a 3.5 mm
plug one one end and a black RCA plug (audio) and a yellow RCA plug
(composite video) on the other ... and costs $17 or more.

I have a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA (red and black) audio cable. I can't see
why this cable wouldn't work, but I don't know if the black on my cable
corresponds to the black connector on the "correct" cable or to the
yellow connector. So it's possible that I may connect the audio signal
to the composite video input of my monitor. Is there a risk of damage
to the monitor?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Use the cable you have. It's highly unlikely any damage will occur.

I believe audio is at a lower level than video, so try plugging the cable
into the video input first.

PS: As the audio on the expensive cable has a black plug, it's probably the
"left" channel of the stereo jack -- the "tip".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:51:59 -0400, Ulysses wrote:

What happens (in terms of damage) if you connect an audio signal to a
composite video input or composite video to an audio input?

I have an old Sony camcorder that has single-channel audio + composite
video out from a 3.5 mm (1/8") jack. The "correct" cable has a 3.5 mm
plug one one end and a black RCA plug (audio) and a yellow RCA plug
(composite video) on the other ... and costs $17 or more.

I have a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA (red and black) audio cable. I can't see
why this cable wouldn't work, but I don't know if the black on my cable
corresponds to the black connector on the "correct" cable or to the
yellow connector. So it's possible that I may connect the audio signal
to the composite video input of my monitor. Is there a risk of damage
to the monitor?

Do a little research on google. I'm sure you'll find a wiring diagram of
those cables. They were pretty much standard among A/V cables. And yes
that cable will do a decent enough job for video without getting into
technical details.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/14/2010 11:36 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Use the cable you have. It's highly unlikely any damage will occur.

I believe audio is at a lower level than video, so try plugging the cable
into the video input first.

PS: As the audio on the expensive cable has a black plug, it's probably the
"left" channel of the stereo jack -- the "tip".

Thanks. Yes, the black plug on the expensive cable is for the left
channel ... but on the red/white audio cable it turned out that the
white was the video and the red was the audio.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ulysses wrote:
What happens (in terms of damage) if you connect an audio signal to a
composite video input or composite video to an audio input?

Presumably, this is a single-ended audio signal? What level is it?
E.g., "line out" shouldn't cause problems with RS170 video *in*.
Likewise, connecting the video to "line in" should be safe.

OTOH, depending on what sort of video device you are connecting
to and the audio signal "while connected", the video device
could misinterpret sync information in the "audio" signal...

Of course, you won't be able to "watch" the audio signal or *listen*
to the video...

I have an old Sony camcorder that has single-channel audio + composite
video out from a 3.5 mm (1/8") jack. The "correct" cable has a 3.5 mm
plug one one end and a black RCA plug (audio) and a yellow RCA plug
(composite video) on the other ... and costs $17 or more.

You can probably pick up something like this for $1 at deal extreme or
their ilk. *If* you have some personal need for yellow and black :
(some are yellow and white)

I have a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA (red and black) audio cable. I can't see
why this cable wouldn't work, but I don't know if the black on my cable
corresponds to the black connector on the "correct" cable or to the
yellow connector. So it's possible that I may connect the audio signal
to the composite video input of my monitor. Is there a risk of damage
to the monitor?

Why don't you try connecting the the "suspected audio" cable to
some disposable *audio* device if you fear damage to your
(more expensive) monitor? Or, a 'scope? (i.e., hook up
camcorder. Speak into microphone while recording with
pauses between your words/sentences. You can then look at
either signal (audio or video) and should be able to recognize
the constant "AC" of a video signal -- even without syncing the
scope! -- vs. the bursts of "Hello"... "Testing"... "lah-dee-dah"...
that you recorded on the audio track.

All this without having to know anything about electronics! :

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 14, 7:51*am, Ulysses wrote:
What happens (in terms of damage) if you connect an audio signal to a
composite video input or composite video to an audio input?

I have an old Sony camcorder that has single-channel audio + composite
video out from a 3.5 mm (1/8") jack. *The "correct" cable has a 3.5 mm
plug one one end and a black RCA plug (audio) and a yellow RCA plug
(composite video) on the other ... and costs $17 or more.

I have a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA (red and black) audio cable. *I can't see
why this cable wouldn't work, but I don't know if the black on my cable
corresponds to the black connector on the "correct" cable or to the
yellow connector. *So it's possible that I may connect the audio signal
to the composite video input of my monitor. *Is there a risk of damage
to the monitor?

Nothing bad but the sound is horrible and the picture sucks. Try it. I
have for silliness. Signal levels are comparable. The 75 ohm
terminator on the video input will load the audio but not damage it.

The audio cable is not 75 ohm transmission line. You will get video
through it but the edges may get smeary or have trailing edge rings.
Niether case is optimum.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you cross the audio with the video in an analog consumer type audio/
video product there will be no damage done. Make sure if you are
listening on an amplifier, you keep the volume control all the way
down when you do the connection.

If you put video in to an audio input there will be a loud audio buzz
from the video sync and composition. If the volume control is turned
up, there could be damage to the speakers if anything...

Once connected, slowely turn the volume control up. If you have a buzz
noise, then you know your connection is crossed! If you hear the
sound and see the pictures, then you know you guessed correctly.

Jerry G.