Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ulysses[_3_] Ulysses[_3_] is offline

Default mis-connecting audio and composite video

What happens (in terms of damage) if you connect an audio signal to a
composite video input or composite video to an audio input?

I have an old Sony camcorder that has single-channel audio + composite
video out from a 3.5 mm (1/8") jack. The "correct" cable has a 3.5 mm
plug one one end and a black RCA plug (audio) and a yellow RCA plug
(composite video) on the other ... and costs $17 or more.

I have a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA (red and black) audio cable. I can't see
why this cable wouldn't work, but I don't know if the black on my cable
corresponds to the black connector on the "correct" cable or to the
yellow connector. So it's possible that I may connect the audio signal
to the composite video input of my monitor. Is there a risk of damage
to the monitor?