Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default mis-connecting audio and composite video

On Oct 14, 7:51*am, Ulysses wrote:
What happens (in terms of damage) if you connect an audio signal to a
composite video input or composite video to an audio input?

I have an old Sony camcorder that has single-channel audio + composite
video out from a 3.5 mm (1/8") jack. *The "correct" cable has a 3.5 mm
plug one one end and a black RCA plug (audio) and a yellow RCA plug
(composite video) on the other ... and costs $17 or more.

I have a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA (red and black) audio cable. *I can't see
why this cable wouldn't work, but I don't know if the black on my cable
corresponds to the black connector on the "correct" cable or to the
yellow connector. *So it's possible that I may connect the audio signal
to the composite video input of my monitor. *Is there a risk of damage
to the monitor?

Nothing bad but the sound is horrible and the picture sucks. Try it. I
have for silliness. Signal levels are comparable. The 75 ohm
terminator on the video input will load the audio but not damage it.

The audio cable is not 75 ohm transmission line. You will get video
through it but the edges may get smeary or have trailing edge rings.
Niether case is optimum.