Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Deskjet 990Cxi prints `in white!'

Hi,

I've got an old Hp Deskjet 990Cxi which suddenly decided to print
nothing. When I send a document to the printer, it behaves as before
(paper is taken, cartridges move, etc.), but the resulting page is
still as white as it was before printing.

The problem does not come from the computer, because I tried several
things. Among them,
* Printing test: holding the resume button for more than 4 secs. makes
it print, but the page is still white;
* Technical test: having the power button hold, and then pressing 4
times the resume button. A page seems to be printed (same behaviour),
but, just as before, nothing is printed, despite cartridges'
movements, etc.

Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/10/2010 1:07 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.

Maybe you need new cartridges?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 10, 7:12*pm, Madness wrote:
On 9/10/2010 1:07 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.

Maybe you need new cartridges?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that they are brand new (and genuine),
and I tested with two lots.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 10, 8:02*pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article , Merciadri Luca wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old Hp Deskjet 990Cxi which suddenly decided to print
nothing. When I send a document to the printer, it behaves as before
(paper is taken, cartridges move, etc.), but the resulting page is
still as white as it was before printing.

The problem does not come from the computer, because I tried several
things. Among them,
* Printing test: holding the resume button for more than 4 secs. makes
it print, but the page is still white;
* Technical test: having the power button hold, and then pressing 4
times the resume button. A page seems to be printed (same behaviour),
but, just as before, nothing is printed, despite cartridges'
movements, etc.

Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.

Get black paper.

Please, no fun here.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default MULTI-POSTING is a really STUPID idea (was: Deskjet...)

Merciadri Luca wrote:
the resulting page is still as white as it was before printing.

Next time you post a question to more than ONE group,
put the names of ALL the groupson the TO: line
(separated by commas).

That way, everyone who reads the question can see ALL the responses.
This is called CROSS-posting.
The way you have done this is selfish and inefficient.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 10, 8:23*pm, JeffM wrote:
Merciadri Luca wrote:
the resulting page is still as white as it was before printing.

Next time you post a question to more than ONE group,
put the names of ALL the groupson the TO: line
(separated by commas).

That way, everyone who reads the question can see ALL the responses.
This is called CROSS-posting.
The way you have done this is selfish and inefficient.

Okay, but that does not answer to my original question. Please answer
to it if you have any solution. I'll know it for the other messages.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JeffM wrote:
The way you have [posted] this is selfish and inefficient.

Merciadri Luca wrote:
Okay, but that does not answer to my original question.

How can you tell if I have answer your question
if you are only looking at THIS group,
while you have posted it to MULTIPLE groups?

Please answer to it if you have any solution.

Go look at ALL the places you have splattered your question,
STUPID.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Merciadri Luca wrote:

On Sep 10, 8:23 pm, JeffM wrote:
Merciadri Luca wrote:
the resulting page is still as white as it was before printing.

Next time you post a question to more than ONE group,
put the names of ALL the groupson the TO: line
(separated by commas).

That way, everyone who reads the question can see ALL the responses.
This is called CROSS-posting.
The way you have done this is selfish and inefficient.

Okay, but that does not answer to my original question. Please answer
to it if you have any solution. I'll know it for the other messages.

comp.periphs.printers is where you should be asking.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 10, 12:28*pm, Merciadri Luca wrote:
On Sep 10, 7:12*pm, Madness wrote: On 9/10/2010 1:07 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.

Maybe you need new cartridges?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that they are brand new (and genuine),
and I tested with two lots.

Have you removed the cover on the print heads? Have you pushed the
print head against a paper towel and had ink actually come out of the
print heasd???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Have you removed the cover on the print heads? *Have you pushed the
print head against a paper towel and had ink actually come out of the
print heasd???

Yes.

@ Michael: yes, but the other group is so damn infected with spam that
I don't think it worths it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 11, 2:10*am, Merciadri Luca wrote:
Have you removed the cover on the print heads? *Have you pushed the
print head against a paper towel and had ink actually come out of the
print heasd???

Yes.

@ Michael: yes, but the other group is so damn infected with spam that
I don't think it worths it.

Damaged flex circuit to the print head carrage?
How did the problem appear? Was it printing fine one page and nothing
the next? Did it print fine then you replaced the cart[s] and it no
longer printed?
We need a bit more history to offer useful suggestions.

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:07:18 -0700 (PDT), Merciadri Luca
wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old Hp Deskjet 990Cxi which suddenly decided to print
nothing. When I send a document to the printer, it behaves as before
(paper is taken, cartridges move, etc.), but the resulting page is
still as white as it was before printing.

The problem does not come from the computer, because I tried several
things. Among them,
* Printing test: holding the resume button for more than 4 secs. makes
it print, but the page is still white;
* Technical test: having the power button hold, and then pressing 4
times the resume button. A page seems to be printed (same behaviour),
but, just as before, nothing is printed, despite cartridges'
movements, etc.

Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.

HP cartridges eject the ink by applying a pulse of electricity to a
heating element in the cartridge. There would be one element for each
color in a multi-color cartridge. Since you have tried different new
cartridges, and a self-test you have eliminated the cartridges and the
computer. That leaves the cause as something internal to the printer.
This would be a failure of the printer electronics, a flaw in the
cable connecting the print head to the electronics board, or possibly
contamination of the contact pad on the printer carriage.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most likely the the power supply for the pulse current source.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, I moved the printer and washed my cartridges with alcohol. They
were quite old (but new too: just never used for many), and using heat
and alcohol, they worked perfectly. Thanks. (I had not used the
printer for a while.)