Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Merciadri Luca Merciadri Luca is offline

Default HP Deskjet 990Cxi prints `in white!'

On Sep 11, 11:41*pm, Jamie
t wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:07:18 -0700 (PDT), Merciadri Luca
wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old Hp Deskjet 990Cxi which suddenly decided to print
nothing. When I send a document to the printer, it behaves as before
(paper is taken, cartridges move, etc.), but the resulting page is
still as white as it was before printing.

The problem does not come from the computer, because I tried several
things. Among them,
* Printing test: holding the resume button for more than 4 secs. makes
it print, but the page is still white;
* Technical test: having the power button hold, and then pressing 4
times the resume button. A page seems to be printed (same behaviour),
but, just as before, nothing is printed, despite cartridges'
movements, etc.

Any idea? I need to make it work.

Thanks.

HP cartridges eject the ink by applying a pulse of electricity to a
heating element in the cartridge. *There would be one element for each
color in a multi-color cartridge. *Since you have tried different new
cartridges, and a self-test you have eliminated the cartridges and the
computer. *That leaves the cause as something internal to the printer..
This would be a failure of the printer electronics, a flaw in the
cable connecting the print head to the electronics board, or possibly
contamination of the contact pad on the printer carriage.

PlainBill

Most likely the the power supply for the pulse current source.

Well, I moved the printer and washed my cartridges with alcohol. They
were quite old (but new too: just never used for many), and using heat
and alcohol, they worked perfectly. Thanks. (I had not used the
printer for a while.)