Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Plasma TV foggy area (update)

Well I got the TV and the front glass wasn't very difficult to remove.

The first thing I noticed was a brown residue on the inside of the all
along the top vents and similar colored dust bunnies inside. I couldn't find
any source for this.. It didn't seem to be coming from any components. I see
no evidence of it on any of the components.

When I removed the glass it was coated in this same brown residue. Even the
apparently clear parts were quite dirty. I spent more time cleaning the
glass than actually taking the glass out.

Anyhow the only thing I can guess is that there is something that was
brining off the actual plasma screen and the smoke residue covered
everything else. I cant understand how else the residue would have gotten
between the glass and the display.

It has a very nice picture now and the speakers sound very good. Bass and
treble My only complaint is the pwr relays seem to be a bit noisy.

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Glad to hear it was so easily fixable.

If you learn any more about the source of "the brown plague", please let us
know.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:
[...]

So the glass you removed was not adhered to the plasma screen in any
way?? I guess it was simply protection for the screen?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Yeah it just had some clips holding it in place. No adhesive of any kind.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
[...]

After some pondering, I believe it may have been some kind of coating on the
inside.. It had the texure of paint when touched, although it came off with
just water and gentle wiping.. ?? Go figure.. I'm just happy that It was
built how it looked like and the screen wasnt bonded to the glass.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote in message
Glad to hear it was so easily fixable.

If you learn any more about the source of "the brown plague", please let

us
know.

nicotine ?

It does look like that, although It is beyond me how it could have gotten
between the panel and the front glass.
I can't smell cigarettes on the tv, but that's not proof. Inside the vents
on the top of the tv look like a large capacitor or something caught on fire
and the smoke left residue on everything. I can't find any evidence of
component damage though.

Maybe the person who owned this before was a chain smoker that kept their
windows shut. haha..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:12:26 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote in message
Glad to hear it was so easily fixable.

If you learn any more about the source of "the brown plague", please
let

us
know.

nicotine ?

It does look like that, although It is beyond me how it could have
gotten between the panel and the front glass.

I asked you if the owner was a smoker, you never answered. Cig smoke
would be attracted to a charged object namely a plasma screen. Smoke
can get in anything.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news

"N_Cook" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote in message
Glad to hear it was so easily fixable.

If you learn any more about the source of "the brown plague", please
let
us
know.

nicotine ?

It does look like that, although It is beyond me how it could have
gotten between the panel and the front glass.

I asked you if the owner was a smoker, you never answered. Cig smoke
would be attracted to a charged object namely a plasma screen. Smoke
can get in anything.

Honestly I dont know if he is or not.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:25:28 +0900, Michael Kennedy mike@com wrote:
I asked you if the owner was a smoker, you never answered. Cig smoke
would be attracted to a charged object namely a plasma screen. Smoke
can get in anything.

Honestly I dont know if he is or not.

Plasma screens don't employ high enough voltages to attract anything.
CRTs had 20 times the voltage and I don't recall them ever being great
smoke magnets.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Plasma screens don't employ high enough voltages to
attract anything. CRTs had 20 times the voltage and I
don't recall them ever being great smoke magnets.

Electrets.

Color CRTs commonly have anode voltages of 20K and higher, and attract dust
like crazy.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:01:14 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Plasma screens don't employ high enough voltages to
attract anything. CRTs had 20 times the voltage and I
don't recall them ever being great smoke magnets.

Electrets.

Color CRTs commonly have anode voltages of 20K and higher, and attract dust
like crazy.

duh, uh, oh yeah. I'd forgotten about how much I used to have to dust CRTs.

In any case plasma tvs don't use such voltages.
I've been using a 50" plasma tv for the last 3 years and can only recall cleaning
it a couple of times, mostly to remove fingerprints.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Plasma screens don't employ high enough voltages to
attract anything. CRTs had 20 times the voltage and I
don't recall them ever being great smoke magnets.

Electrets.

Color CRTs commonly have anode voltages of 20K and higher, and attract
dust
like crazy.

duh, uh, oh yeah. I'd forgotten about how much I used to have to dust
CRTs.

In any case plasma tvs don't use such voltages.
I've been using a 50" plasma tv for the last 3 years and can only recall
cleaning
it a couple of times, mostly to remove fingerprints.

I think this tv was in a particulary dirty smoke environment due to the
amount of crud just inside the case.

I noticed an intermentent shutdown after air dusting the PSU board. Took it
back apart to find all kinds of sticky dust bunnies on the back of the
board. It looks like they were shorting out the PSU due to one being quite
black as if it were burned.

And to the case of HV attracting dust I think it is true.. The dust / crud
follwed the HV traces on the PSU..

Hopefully thats all that was wrong.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Don't need HV to attract particulate contamination just a difference in
static charges.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:11:12 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:
I think this tv was in a particulary dirty smoke environment due to the
amount of crud just inside the case.

I noticed an intermentent shutdown after air dusting the PSU board. Took it
back apart to find all kinds of sticky dust bunnies on the back of the
board. It looks like they were shorting out the PSU due to one being quite
black as if it were burned.

And to the case of HV attracting dust I think it is true.. The dust / crud
follwed the HV traces on the PSU..

Hopefully thats all that was wrong.

I've done PC repair on ones owned by smokers and you wouldn't believe how
nasty they can get inside. One one system, I had to go wash my hands
with 409 every time I reached inside the case for any reason. My hands would
literally sting from the tar and god knows what else.

Unrurprisingly, every exposed moving part in the PC had failed. (power supply
and cpu fans, floppy drive, cdrom) ****ing nasty.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've done PC repair on ones owned by smokers and you
wouldn't believe how nasty they can get inside. One one
system, I had to go wash my hands with 409 every time
I reached inside the case for any reason. My hands would
literally sting from the tar and God-knows what else.

I repaired a lot of TVs in high school. Though I never came across one
/that/ bad, I hated working on sets owned by smokers. The smell was bad
enough.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

And they wonder why those people die young!