Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Plasma TV foggy area (update)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:11:12 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:
I think this tv was in a particulary dirty smoke environment due to the
amount of crud just inside the case.

I noticed an intermentent shutdown after air dusting the PSU board. Took it
back apart to find all kinds of sticky dust bunnies on the back of the
board. It looks like they were shorting out the PSU due to one being quite
black as if it were burned.

And to the case of HV attracting dust I think it is true.. The dust / crud
follwed the HV traces on the PSU..

Hopefully thats all that was wrong.

I've done PC repair on ones owned by smokers and you wouldn't believe how
nasty they can get inside. One one system, I had to go wash my hands
with 409 every time I reached inside the case for any reason. My hands would
literally sting from the tar and god knows what else.

Unrurprisingly, every exposed moving part in the PC had failed. (power supply
and cpu fans, floppy drive, cdrom) ****ing nasty.