Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repairing flexible pcb connector track?

In the course of doing some modifications to a very expensive Sony 3 chip HD
camcorder I have accidentally cut through 3 tracks on the edge of a mylar?
flexible cable. On the good side the damage is very accessible but the bad
bit is the tracks are only 0.1mm wide on a 0.2mm pitch! Ideally one would
just replace the flex pcb but in practice that would involve dismantling the
camera and lens to get to all the places the pcb branches out to, and in
some places it actually goes into the lens mechanism itself.

I am considering abrading off the top mylar coating to expose the copper
then bridging the breaks with some very narrow pitch zebra strip. My other
idea is to make my own miniature insulation displacement/piercing connector
using a stack of razor blade bits sandwiched with insulation layers.

The last option would be to use wire links and solder but I think this could
only be done with some sort of mechanical micropositioning rig in view of
the small sizes involved.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts or experiences if anyone has any.

Cheers

Ian