Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ancient_Hacker

Default Carbon track ribbon cable end, repairing

Hi, I have a small LCD display where the edge has a 60-track ribbon
cable going to the motherboard. The cable is clear plastic with very
thin carbon tracks. The end going to the PC board has gone
intermittent, so I pulled it off. Apparently it was glued on with some
gray goop.

The carbon tracks on the end of the cable have mostly pulled off the
plastic. I could cut off the bad end as there's about 1/4 inch of
slack in the cable BUT:

(1) There's some beige painted-on insulation over the carbon. It
comes off with acetone, but so do the carbon tracks! How do I get the
beige insulation off without hurting the delicate carbon underneath?

(2) What do I use to glue the cable back on? Or should I fashion a
clamp?

Help!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook

Ancient_Hacker wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have a small LCD display where the edge has a 60-track ribbon
cable going to the motherboard. The cable is clear plastic with very
thin carbon tracks. The end going to the PC board has gone
intermittent, so I pulled it off. Apparently it was glued on with some
gray goop.

The carbon tracks on the end of the cable have mostly pulled off the
plastic. I could cut off the bad end as there's about 1/4 inch of
slack in the cable BUT:

(1) There's some beige painted-on insulation over the carbon. It
comes off with acetone, but so do the carbon tracks! How do I get the
beige insulation off without hurting the delicate carbon underneath?

(2) What do I use to glue the cable back on? Or should I fashion a
clamp?

Help!

How are the conductors of the ribbon connected to the conductive lands on
the LCD glass ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spudnuty

I would also be interested in a solution to this problem. I have a
Toshiba laptop in my "to be repaired pile" and the same thing has
happened to the LCD cable. It was glued to the LCD glass and the glue
has aged and become brittle so that the connection is completely off.
Richard