Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ancient_Hacker

Default Carbon track ribbon cable end, repairing

Hi, I have a small LCD display where the edge has a 60-track ribbon
cable going to the motherboard. The cable is clear plastic with very
thin carbon tracks. The end going to the PC board has gone
intermittent, so I pulled it off. Apparently it was glued on with some
gray goop.

The carbon tracks on the end of the cable have mostly pulled off the
plastic. I could cut off the bad end as there's about 1/4 inch of
slack in the cable BUT:

(1) There's some beige painted-on insulation over the carbon. It
comes off with acetone, but so do the carbon tracks! How do I get the
beige insulation off without hurting the delicate carbon underneath?

(2) What do I use to glue the cable back on? Or should I fashion a
clamp?

Help!