Posted to sci.electronics.repair
don don is offline

Default Task Light just Flickers

I have a Luxo asymmetrical task light which takes an 18 watt bulb, which is
starting to give me trouble. Most of the time it will just flicker as if it
is trying to come on, but sometimes it will flicker once or twice and then
come right on. When it does come on it shines bright. Luxo will not support
this task light anymore because they say it is too old??? even though it
was supposedly guaranteed for life. What is causing this intermittant
problem and how could I fix it? I hate to throw the light out because it
was around $200 when I bought it and it does work fine after it lights up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2010 00:32:36 -0500, "don" wrote:

I have a Luxo asymmetrical task light which takes an 18 watt bulb, which is
starting to give me trouble. Most of the time it will just flicker as if it
is trying to come on, but sometimes it will flicker once or twice and then
come right on. When it does come on it shines bright. Luxo will not support
this task light anymore because they say it is too old??? even though it
was supposedly guaranteed for life. What is causing this intermittant
problem and how could I fix it? I hate to throw the light out because it
was around $200 when I bought it and it does work fine after it lights up.

Uh, did you replace the bulb?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Uh, did you replace the bulb?

Indeed. This sounds like an intermittent filament. Assuming it's an
incandescent lamp.

Is this a fluorescent lamp? It could be the bulb, or the "ballast".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2010 00:32:36 -0500, "don" wrote:

I have a Luxo asymmetrical task light which takes an 18 watt bulb, which is
starting to give me trouble. Most of the time it will just flicker as if it
is trying to come on, but sometimes it will flicker once or twice and then
come right on.

PeterD wrote:

Uh, did you replace the bulb?

Or the starter? I've had several bug zappers with replaceable bulbs, that
did not get fixed by replacing them. Then I decided to ignore the "no user
servicable parts inside" stickers, and opened them up. Inside was a regular
floursecent starter in a socket for each bulb.

I've replaced them each time I've replaced the bulbs, which makes a makes it
a $7 repair instead of a $40 replacement.

Yes, these are big bug zappers.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

Uh, did you replace the bulb?

Indeed. This sounds like an intermittent filament. Assuming it's an
incandescent lamp.

Is this a fluorescent lamp? It could be the bulb, or the "ballast".

I haven't seen too many 18w incandescent lights ...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Uh, did you replace the bulb?

This sounds like an intermittent filament. Assuming it's an
incandescent lamp.
Is this a fluorescent lamp? It could be the bulb, or the "ballast".

I haven't seen too many 18W incandescent lights ...

No, but there are low-wattage tungsten-halogen lamps used in such products.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 5, 10:32*pm, "don" wrote:
I have a Luxo asymmetrical task light which takes an 18 watt bulb, which is
starting to give me trouble. Most of the time it will just flicker

I'm guessing this is a halogen light.
Probably there's oxidation in the socket contacts to the lamp.
You can pull out the bulb, clean (scrape) the pins, and
use a welding tip cleaner wire (kinda like low-bite circular
file wires, used for acetylene torch maintenance) to clean
the socket.

Don't get fingerprints on the bulb, or use any cleaners that might
leave a residue.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:08:23 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd wrote:
On May 5, 10:32*pm, "don" wrote:
I have a Luxo asymmetrical task light which takes an 18 watt bulb, which is
starting to give me trouble. Most of the time it will just flicker

I'm guessing this is a halogen light.

That's what everyone seems to be doing -- guessing.

Ask open ended questions -- get open ended answers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arghh. It's a LUXO Task Lamp. 18 watt fluorescent,
virtually by definition.

The OP should have said so.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Arghh. It's a LUXO Task Lamp. 18 watt fluorescent,
virtually by definition.

The OP should have said so.

And what model of LUXO Task Lamp. They made a lot of models they
called a 'Task Lamp'.

There is a good chance that it has an electronic ballast.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
don don is offline

Ask open ended questions -- get open ended answers.

Ok I opened up the light..... the bulb is a Syvania Dulux D 18w compact
flourecent 20677 835 avg life 10,000 hrs
But I can not log into www.sylvania.com which is on the box to check the
specs?????
The ballast is made by B and L Tech. http://bplusl.com/html/balnu6.htm
mine is an INstant Start class P Type 1 NU6-1128-NT-1
It has a slight brown spot on it and so does the bulb.
Interesting that the manufact. recommends buying bulbs with EOL protection
built in them (end of life) to protect the ballast.
Maybe this is why my balast died because of the bulb going bad?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
don don is offline

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Arghh. It's a LUXO Task Lamp. 18 watt fluorescent,
virtually by definition.

The OP should have said so.

And what model of LUXO Task Lamp. They made a lot of models they
called a 'Task Lamp'.

There is a good chance that it has an electronic ballast.

I can't find the model number on the light - all it has on it is LUXO on the
arm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Arghh. It's a LUXO Task Lamp. 18 watt fluorescent,
virtually by definition.

The OP should have said so.

And what model of LUXO Task Lamp. They made a lot of models they
called a 'Task Lamp'.

There is a good chance that it has an electronic ballast.

I can't find the model number on the light - all it has on it is LUXO on the
arm

Take a look at "LUXO Task Lamp" on Google 'Images' to see if you can
find yours.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
don don is offline

Its a Luxo Vision Task Light I found a pic on google
http://www.ergospec.com/products/off...ting/luxo.html

"don" wrote in message

Ask open ended questions -- get open ended answers.

Ok I opened up the light..... the bulb is a Syvania Dulux D 18w compact
flourecent 20677 835 avg life 10,000 hrs
But I can not log into www.sylvania.com which is on the box to check the
specs?????
The ballast is made by B and L Tech. http://bplusl.com/html/balnu6.htm
mine is an INstant Start class P Type 1 NU6-1128-NT-1
It has a slight brown spot on it and so does the bulb.
Interesting that the manufact. recommends buying bulbs with EOL protection
built in them (end of life) to protect the ballast.
Maybe this is why my balast died because of the bulb going bad?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8 mayo, 14:46, "don" wrote:
Ask open ended questions -- get open ended answers.

Ok I opened up the light..... the bulb is a Syvania *Dulux D 18w compact
flourecent *20677 * 835 * avg life 10,000 hrs
But I can not log intowww.sylvania.comwhich is on the box to check the
specs?????
The ballast is made by B and *L Tech.http://bplusl.com/html/balnu6.htm
mine is an INstant Start class P Type 1 *NU6-1128-NT-1
It has a slight brown spot on it and so does the bulb.
Interesting that the manufact. recommends buying bulbs with EOL protection
built in them (end of *life) *to protect the ballast.
Maybe this is why my balast died because of the bulb going bad?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sylvania was absorbed by Osram several years ago, and now Dulux is a
trademark of Osram. That´s why you found nothing searching under
Sylvania. Having said that, what you have is just a PL fluorescent
bulb. These bulbs have the starter inside their base, and they work
with an electromagnetic ballast. If the bulb flickers, and takes a
long time to stay on (if it ever stays on) the culprit is the bulb
itself because it is burnt. Indeed, Sylvania as a brand of fluorescent
lamps disappeared more thant ten years ago, so your bulb is pretty old
and probably at the end of its useful lifetime.

Regarding the ballast, if it were burnt, the bulb wouldn´t even
flicker. The brown spot you saw outside of the ballast is probably
some enamel leftover from when it was manufactured and nothing to
worry about. Just replace the bulb and be happy.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
don don is offline

Mr. !
Thanks SO MUCH........ you just saved me some money........... I was
about to buy another ballast, cause of the brown spot..............
I'll try replacing the $5 bulb first......
I don't know if I"ll ever buy another Luxo again because they just told
me my Task Light was too old and they didn't support the product
anymore.....
I'm not an electrician so taking apart this light was no fun.... I had to
find all this out myself with your help......................
Thanks AGAIN