Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lsmartino lsmartino is offline

Default Task Light just Flickers

On 8 mayo, 14:46, "don" wrote:
Ask open ended questions -- get open ended answers.

Ok I opened up the light..... the bulb is a Syvania *Dulux D 18w compact
flourecent *20677 * 835 * avg life 10,000 hrs
But I can not log intowww.sylvania.comwhich is on the box to check the
specs?????
The ballast is made by B and *L Tech.http://bplusl.com/html/balnu6.htm
mine is an INstant Start class P Type 1 *NU6-1128-NT-1
It has a slight brown spot on it and so does the bulb.
Interesting that the manufact. recommends buying bulbs with EOL protection
built in them (end of *life) *to protect the ballast.
Maybe this is why my balast died because of the bulb going bad?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sylvania was absorbed by Osram several years ago, and now Dulux is a
trademark of Osram. Thatīs why you found nothing searching under
Sylvania. Having said that, what you have is just a PL fluorescent
bulb. These bulbs have the starter inside their base, and they work
with an electromagnetic ballast. If the bulb flickers, and takes a
long time to stay on (if it ever stays on) the culprit is the bulb
itself because it is burnt. Indeed, Sylvania as a brand of fluorescent
lamps disappeared more thant ten years ago, so your bulb is pretty old
and probably at the end of its useful lifetime.

Regarding the ballast, if it were burnt, the bulb wouldnīt even
flicker. The brown spot you saw outside of the ballast is probably
some enamel leftover from when it was manufactured and nothing to
worry about. Just replace the bulb and be happy.