Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ir receiver module, testing and identifying

I have a Onkyo TX-8211. It's become unresponsive to both the factory
remote and a universal remote that was programmed to control it. I
popped it open to inspect the receiver module. I couldn't see any
markings on it (without removing it from the pcb, anyway). I measured
5V on the supply line. On the output line I could see a digital signal
that was about 120mV peak-to-peak when I sent an IR signal from one of
the remotes.

Anyone know if this is typical of the output? Should the signal be
larger? If the module needs to be replaced, how would I identify a
replacement?

Since it is generating a signal I'm wondering if some other part has
failed. There's an electrolytic cap wired to it, which I'm eying
suspiciously.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:54:33 -0700 (PDT), Brian
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a Onkyo TX-8211. It's become unresponsive to both the factory
remote and a universal remote that was programmed to control it. I
popped it open to inspect the receiver module. I couldn't see any
markings on it (without removing it from the pcb, anyway). I measured
5V on the supply line. On the output line I could see a digital signal
that was about 120mV peak-to-peak when I sent an IR signal from one of
the remotes.

Anyone know if this is typical of the output? Should the signal be
larger? If the module needs to be replaced, how would I identify a
replacement?

Since it is generating a signal I'm wondering if some other part has
failed. There's an electrolytic cap wired to it, which I'm eying
suspiciously.

AIUI, these modules produce TTL level outputs. Just be sure to use a
pullup resistor on the output, as it may be open collector.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:00:07 +1000, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

AIUI, these modules produce TTL level outputs. Just be sure to use a
pullup resistor on the output, as it may be open collector.

FWIW, here are datasheets for Sharp IR receiver modules:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/search.php?q=GP1U

- Franc Zabkar