Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tougher modula jacks

Evey month the little lever thingie snaps off the modular RJ11 mail
connector on my laptop's dialup modem cable and I have to crimp on a
new one. Not a major sweat, but are there tougher, maybe metalic
connectors that don't keep snapping? Do they work with the same crimpers?

BTW, what is the smallest (still cheap) crimper? Maybe on a stick you
press down instead of clamp like a plier?
Idea is it should be like a screwdrive, disposable and in pocket.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Evey month the little lever thingie snaps off the modular RJ11 mail
connector on my laptop's dialup modem cable and I have to crimp on a
new one. Not a major sweat, but are there tougher, maybe metalic
connectors that don't keep snapping? Do they work with the same crimpers?

BTW, what is the smallest (still cheap) crimper? Maybe on a stick you
press down instead of clamp like a plier?
Idea is it should be like a screwdrive, disposable and in pocket.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus,

BioStrategist
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime

Bimbos]

Could you make a sort of soft sprung mount inside the exposed finger-tab
piece, perhaps some cable sleeve and hotmelt glue each side, Then if/when
the original hinge end fails , remake with some hotmelt glue at that end.
Hotmelt string details on my tips files, off below

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/04/2010 09:02, N_Cook wrote:
wrote in message

Evey month the little lever thingie snaps off the modular RJ11 mail
connector on my laptop's dialup modem cable and I have to crimp on a
new one...

Could you make a sort of soft sprung mount inside the exposed finger-tab
piece, perhaps some cable sleeve and hotmelt glue each side, Then if/when
the original hinge end fails , remake with some hotmelt glue at that end.
Hotmelt string details on my tips files, off below

Or ...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repa...Ethernet-Plug/

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks! You folks in this newsgroup are great!

(THis is how nesgroups were fifteen years ago!)

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

To reduce breakage of those little tabs, you could get some
heat-shrinkable tubing that is just barely big enough to make it over
the connector (You can stretch it a little by pushing it down over the
tip of a needle-nose pliers and forcing the jaws open slightly...) and
then heating the end of the tube that's away from the connector, to
shrink it. That gives you a sleeve you can slide down over the tab.

wrote:
Thanks! You folks in this newsgroup are great!

(THis is how nesgroups were fifteen years ago!)

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

t...

wrote:
Thanks! You folks in this newsgroup are great!

(THis is how nesgroups were fifteen years ago!)

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus,

BioStrategist
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully

disclaimed.}---
[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive

guards]
[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime

Bimbos]

Don't they usually break at the plastic bending non-hinge hinge?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
Don't they usually break at the plastic bending non-hinge hinge?

Yeah, but that's because the get snagged and bent around the
wrong way.

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeffrey D Angus wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:
Don't they usually break at the plastic bending non-hinge hinge?

Yeah, but that's because the get snagged and bent around the
wrong way.

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

So the heatshrink thing was just a pouch for stowage when knocking about in
the spaghetti in carrying cases etc

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
Don't they usually break at the plastic bending non-hinge hinge?

Yeah, but that's because the get snagged and bent around the
wrong way.

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

So the heatshrink thing was just a pouch for stowage when knocking about in
the spaghetti in carrying cases etc

Basically yeah, it keeps the free end of the tab from getting snagged
and bent around the wrong way. And subsequently breaking off.

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
Don't they usually break at the plastic bending non-hinge hinge?
Yeah, but that's because the get snagged and bent around the
wrong way.

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

So the heatshrink thing was just a pouch for stowage when knocking
about in
the spaghetti in carrying cases etc

Basically yeah, it keeps the free end of the tab from getting snagged
and bent around the wrong way. And subsequently breaking off.

Jeff

Yep. To reduce breakage.
It just a quick-and-cheap way to provide what some commercially-made
cables do: A cover over the open tip of the tab, gripping the cable
behind the connector, so the connector doesn't snag on things when you
pull the cable out from behind somebody's desk.

Now, if somebody could prevent VGA connector screw-knobs from snagging
on things, the world would be a better place.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:59:50 -0700, Mark Allread
wrote:

Now, if somebody could prevent VGA connector screw-knobs from snagging
on things, the world would be a better place.

Easy. I have a few pieces of vinyl chemistry hose in my wiring box.
For DE-15/HD-15 connectors, it's about 6" long. I slide each end over
the screws and tywrap the middle to the cable. I then pull it through
the hole, wire bundle, wire tangle, or (cringe) conduit as needed.
However, I don't leave it that way after installing it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D