Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Static When Capturing VHS Tapes

Sorry to rant, but I think it is enormously counter productive when a
forum "archives" a topic and makes it no longer possible to add
comments. I know this is probably Google's decision, and may not be
under the control of the moderators.

I've been planning to add additional comments to my "Static When
Capturing VHS Tapes" topic. I am extremely annoyed to discover it is
no longer possible. I would like to be able to add a comment a decade
or 100 years from now.

Anyway, I've encountered a video on YouTube with precisely the kind of
audio static that I've been experiencing, Although I did receive
several helpful replies when I posted, I'm wondering if this would
help anyone elaborate on the probable cause. You need listen to only
the first ten or fifteen seconds to get the idea.

It's called SUBURBAN LAWNS - JANITOR, posted by spadge321
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32-LHS2-LxU&

Just to clarify, this video has nothing to do with me; I am providing
the link to it only as a demonstration of the static.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:03:55 -0700 (PDT), NY2LA wrote:

Sorry to rant, but I think it is enormously counter productive when a
forum "archives" a topic and makes it no longer possible to add
comments. I know this is probably Google's decision, and may not be
under the control of the moderators.

This is not a forum, this is not google, this is Usenet. Google happen
to provide a web based crappy interface that wrecks the Usenet experience.

Usenet is accessed via nntp.

Use a proper news client. It's normal to reply to one's own postings
to add information while keep your topic threaded.

Grant.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 15, 10:03*pm, NY2LA wrote:
[...]

The static is from the hifi audio tracks recorded with the video RF on
the rotary heads. It may be as trivial as adjusting the tracking or it
may be from guide alignment such that the playback RF has significant
drops in level. This can happen from mis-alignment of the deck that
recorded the tape or the player and / or simple wearout of the drum
and guides. How important is the transfer? Enough to justify aligning
the player to the faulty tape? I've done it with consumer formats and
SMPTE C broadcast decks - but it'll cost you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Sorry to rant, but I think it is enormously counter productive when a
forum "archives" a topic and makes it no longer possible to add
comments.

Usenet does not 'archive' topics or threads. Google, a poor way ot
access Usenet, with very limited functionality may do so, but it is
simply not following the 'rules' which don't have an 'archive'
capability. Complain to Google, or better yet, get a real news reader
(such as Agent, or Thunderbird) and a real Usenet feed, and you'll be
*much* happier.

I know this is probably Google's decision, and may not be
under the control of the moderators.

There are no moderators here. As to Google, again, what do they know?

I've been planning to add additional comments to my "Static When
Capturing VHS Tapes" topic. I am extremely annoyed to discover it is
no longer possible. I would like to be able to add a comment a decade
or 100 years from now.

You can. Not saying you should, but you can. Messages age off Usenet
(to avoid filling server's hard drives, and as well most user programs
(such as Agent and Thunderbird) will discard old messages to conserve
disk space.

Anyway, I've encountered a video on YouTube with precisely the kind of
audio static that I've been experiencing, Although I did receive
several helpful replies when I posted, I'm wondering if this would
help anyone elaborate on the probable cause. You need listen to only
the first ten or fifteen seconds to get the idea.

It's called SUBURBAN LAWNS - JANITOR, posted by spadge321
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32-LHS2-LxU&

Dear dog, that was horrible... Truely awful!

Just to clarify, this video has nothing to do with me; I am providing
the link to it only as a demonstration of the static.

The 'fold-over' at the top of the video?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Rant about Google Groups (was: Static When Capturing VHS Tapes)

NY2LA wrote:
it is enormously counter productive when a forum "archives" a topic
and makes it no longer possible to add comments.

First, look over at the right-hand frame
of the page you have accessed at Google Greoups.
Note where it says "This is a Usenet group".

Next, find out what "Usenet" is
and how it differs from "Google Groups".
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...summary+qq+Web

If you don't want to deal with Google's monkeyshines,
get yourself a REAL newsreader
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...et_newsreaders

and a REAL Usenet provider.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...ews+free+Forte
http://ngprovider.com/

I know this is probably Google's decision,

If your IT department has Port 119 (NNTP) blocked
or they won't allow you to install software on "your" box,
this is another archive on Port 80 ("The Web")
of some electronics-releated Usenet newsgroups:
http://www.electronicskb.com/Default.aspx
It allows posting and doesn't have a timeout on that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 16, 12:11*am, wrote:

The static is from the hifi audio tracks recorded with the video RF on
the rotary heads. It may be as trivial as adjusting the tracking or it
may be from guide alignment such that the playback RF has significant
drops in level. This can happen from mis-alignment of the deck that
recorded the tape or the player and / or simple wearout of the drum
and guides. How important is the transfer? Enough to justify aligning
the player to the faulty tape? I've done it with consumer formats and
SMPTE C broadcast decks - but it'll cost you.

Finally, I've taken time to more carefully experiment with adjusting
the tracking, a common suggestion when I previously posted this topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...0c1e81abead79#

I tried both Tape A and Tape B on both of my new VCR's, and it turns
out it is possible to significantly reduce the static in every case --
maybe not completely, but good enough for these particular tapes.

Nevertheless, I am curious about your procedure for adjusting a player
specifically for a faulty tape. I am capturing numerous tapes, and
expect to run into this problem again, perhaps with something more
important. You say it would cost me. Who would do this for me?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 16, 6:27*am, PeterD wrote:

The 'fold-over' at the top of the video?

I don't understand what you mean by "fold-over".
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 19, 3:34*pm, NY2LA wrote:
On Mar 16, 6:27*am, PeterD wrote:

The 'fold-over' at the top of the video?

I don't understand what you mean by "fold-over".

I didn't notice it at first as I was listening to your 'static' but
look at the top of the image. The first few lines coming and going
might actually be from an adjacent RF track from wear out / poor
alignment or may be the Drop Out Corrector (DOC) repeating the last
available material. If you don't know what that means you should look
up how a video tape machine works with the rotating head. I promise
that once you understand a format, they all work the same, even the
digital and HD machines. The details are different but the concepts of
RF, tracks, servos, control tracks and Time Base Correction is common
to ALL video tape machines. I've been repairing broadcast machines 30
years.