Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Maplin/Trust 500 UPS

The damn thing has developed the habit of bleeping at random intervals, I
tried running it flat and then reconnecting the mains supply but it still
keeps bleeping.

The user manual doesn't have a trouble shooting table and apart from the
random bleeping, the UPS appears to be working correctly.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:
The damn thing has developed the habit of bleeping at random intervals, I
tried running it flat and then reconnecting the mains supply but it still
keeps bleeping.

The user manual doesn't have a trouble shooting table and apart from the
random bleeping, the UPS appears to be working correctly.

Any suggestions?

Put a switch in series with the noisemaker. I ran a UPS
with this symptom for years with the alarm disconnected.
AFAICT, the UPS always "did the right thing" (in terms
of power) so the noisemaker was just that -- a maker
of noise. :
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"D Yuniskis" wrote in message
ian field wrote:
The damn thing has developed the habit of bleeping at random intervals, I
tried running it flat and then reconnecting the mains supply but it still
keeps bleeping.

The user manual doesn't have a trouble shooting table and apart from the
random bleeping, the UPS appears to be working correctly.

Any suggestions?

Put a switch in series with the noisemaker. I ran a UPS
with this symptom for years with the alarm disconnected.
AFAICT, the UPS always "did the right thing" (in terms
of power) so the noisemaker was just that -- a maker
of noise. :

My best guess would be the battery's internal resistance has started to
increase.

If it does give up, I have a 12V12Ah battery left over from a bigger UPS I
scrapped that used 2 batteries - one was dud and a new UPS from Maplin was
cheaper than replacing the battery.

It won't fit, so it looks like fly-leads through holes drilled in the case -
I can pull the wires off the sounder while I'm at it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote in message ...
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:19:00 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

The damn thing has developed the habit of bleeping at random intervals, I
tried running it flat and then reconnecting the mains supply but it still
keeps bleeping.

The user manual doesn't have a trouble shooting table and apart from the
random bleeping, the UPS appears to be working correctly.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Check the voltage input. Perhaps it drops lower than the switchover
threshold.

I have 2 identical UPS boxes on the same ring main - only 1 is playing up.

Maplin IR Thermometer. Clint Sharp UK diy 20 March 24th 09 10:41 AM
maplin flyer Dave UK diy 1 January 3rd 09 11:46 PM
getting a refund out of Maplin RobertL UK diy 16 April 25th 08 10:26 PM
What do you use yours for? [was maplin thermometer ] PCPaul UK diy 32 January 16th 08 08:16 PM
Maplin Doctor Drivel UK diy 2 October 24th 05 09:35 PM