Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Laptop power supply output plug

Somewhat chewed up, seems to be 7.3mm outside diameter, 9.5mm deep, 5mm
inside diameter , about 0.5mm pin but tip recessed 5mm into body, would it
be recessed by as much as 5mm ?
Number on ps body
PP012L-E
WASHBOABMXWDR4

Laptop is with owner

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Somewhat chewed up, seems to be 7.3mm outside diameter, 9.5mm deep, 5mm
inside diameter , about 0.5mm pin but tip recessed 5mm into body, would it
be recessed by as much as 5mm ?
Number on ps body
PP012L-E
WASHBOABMXWDR4

Laptop is with owner

Try a look he- http://www.laptopjacks.com/

Colin @ CATronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Colin Horsley wrote in message
. au...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Somewhat chewed up, seems to be 7.3mm outside diameter, 9.5mm deep, 5mm
inside diameter , about 0.5mm pin but tip recessed 5mm into body, would it
be recessed by as much as 5mm ?
Number on ps body
PP012L-E
WASHBOABMXWDR4

Laptop is with owner

Try a look he- http://www.laptopjacks.com/

Colin @ CATronics

I'll try some calculations on the foreshortened image on there but not far
off 5mm recessed just going visually.
I wonder if they do a splicing kit, to avoid trying to break into the box.
Some sort of 5 amp compact connector and a 2 part black rubber formulation
and 2-part mould that fits around the cable.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The most chewed up area is the cover. 3 connections at the active end, pin
and inner and outer rings not connected at the plug. Two leads coming from
the supply but are the 2 rings connected to one supply line or just one and
which one ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The remnants of the connector had a black covered wire and a blue covered
wire going to the cylinder parts of the connector. I don't suppose there is
a standard for these sorts of things , but it looks as though the blue one
was not connected through to the power supply so just one lead but connected
to the inside or the outside cylinder of the connection. This is a pin
centre conductor , not a female connector.
My guess is the inner surface as then both conductor surfaces are recessed
from casual touching anything when disconnected.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Somewhat chewed up, seems to be 7.3mm outside diameter, 9.5mm deep, 5mm
inside diameter , about 0.5mm pin but tip recessed 5mm into body, would it
be recessed by as much as 5mm ?
Number on ps body
PP012L-E
WASHBOABMXWDR4

Laptop is with owner

Try a look he- http://www.laptopjacks.com/

Colin @ CATronics

from the aptopjacks pic then recessed very approx 0.38 the length of the
exposed barrel in the skew-on view, which makes it 5.1mm recessed going by
the straight on view, so I'll take that as pin tip recessed 5mm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Somewhat chewed up, seems to be 7.3mm outside diameter, 9.5mm deep, 5mm
inside diameter , about 0.5mm pin but tip recessed 5mm into body, would it
be recessed by as much as 5mm ?
Number on ps body
PP012L-E
WASHBOABMXWDR4

Laptop is with owner

__________________

It would be SO much easier to help you if we had the MODEL number!

Colin @ CATronics

Colin @ CATronics

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Somewhat chewed up, seems to be 7.3mm outside diameter, 9.5mm deep, 5mm
inside diameter , about 0.5mm pin but tip recessed 5mm into body, would it
be recessed by as much as 5mm ?
Number on ps body
PP012L-E
WASHBOABMXWDR4

Laptop is with owner

__________________

It would be SO much easier to help you if we had the MODEL number!

Colin @ CATronics

Colin @ CATronics

COMPAQ - model #CQ60-307EA is the model in question

The minor, blue covered central lead , i think, was turned back within the
fill of the connector shroud, not connected to the pin, safer leaving
disconnected without any specific knowledge.
Just leaving the polarity of the 2 concentric cylinders taking the 4.74 amp
rating
Just looked at another known Compaq (Compaq Presario 2700EA) and DVM testing
the simple 2 way DC power connection , nothing on diode range.
no reading on R range one way
but other -2.8M on 30M range , DVM+ to known neagative and chassis ground
-260K on 3M range
and with another DVM
-6M on 20M range
-600K on 2M
-25K on 200K

how universal is that ? if not able to power up with current limited bench
power supply, monitoring voltage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

not found a www ref specifically to that Compaq DC polarity.
Did just DVM the blue lead back to the mains connector and 1.3M regular
resistance back to mains ground pin, nothing showing on any other routes.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I assume the small diameter core wire and central connector pin are for
static discharge to ground, when used, not in this particular case

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

not found a www ref specifically to that Compaq DC polarity.
Did just DVM the blue lead back to the mains connector and 1.3M regular
resistance back to mains ground pin, nothing showing on any other
routes.

Some of these supplies use I2C communications to 'tell the computer about
the power supply capabilities'. Without the I2C communications, the
computer may complain that the supply doesn't have sufficient capacity to
charge the computer's batteries.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

not found a www ref specifically to that Compaq DC polarity.
Did just DVM the blue lead back to the mains connector and 1.3M regular
resistance back to mains ground pin, nothing showing on any other
routes.

Some of these supplies use I2C communications to 'tell the computer about
the power supply capabilities'. Without the I2C communications, the
computer may complain that the supply doesn't have sufficient capacity to
charge the computer's batteries.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

Would a data stream be observable on the third wire from the ps at switch on
and disconnected from the pc or only after a RTS chirp or something from the
pc when connected?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

not found a www ref specifically to that Compaq DC polarity.
Did just DVM the blue lead back to the mains connector and 1.3M
regular resistance back to mains ground pin, nothing showing on any
other routes.

Some of these supplies use I2C communications to 'tell the computer
about the power supply capabilities'. Without the I2C communications,
the computer may complain that the supply doesn't have sufficient
capacity to charge the computer's batteries.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

please pardon my infinite ignorance, the set-of-things-I-do-not-know is
an infinite set.

Would a data stream be observable on the third wire from the ps at
switch on and disconnected from the pc or only after a RTS chirp or
something from the pc when connected?

I think that the computer senses when a voltage is present on the power
jack. I think it then asks the supply 'who are you'. If the supply says 'I
am an 85 (or whatever) supply', the computer is happy. If it doesn't reply
or says 'I am a low wattage supply', the computer gives an error message.

I base this on the fact that the error message appears when I plug in my
'broken' power supply to the computer OR when I plug the supply into the
AC, but not when I plug in a 'good supply' although the 'AC/battery
indicator' changes when either supply is connected.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

[...]

Could not that be done totally within the pc
Within a few seconds of connecting and normal loading is ok try maximum load
for a fraction of a second and if undercurrent/undervoltage then display
error message

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

bz wrote in message
98.139...
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

[...]

it's probably just a resistor value that gets read,forms a voltage divider
and the developed V gets read. Simple,cheap to implement.
No resistor,you get the "insufficient supply" message.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

it's probably just a resistor value that gets read,forms a voltage
divider and the developed V gets read. Simple,cheap to implement.
No resistor,you get the "insufficient supply" message.

[quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspiron]

"AC power adapter type cannot be determined"

When I startup my computer, I get the message “The AC power adapter type
cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will
not charge."

This error occurs due to a communication error between an id-chip within
the AC adapter and the laptop. Mostly the issue is due to unprotected
1-wire id-chip getting destroyed, or the laptop motherboard being damaged.
This issue has been known for a long time and DELL has done nothing to fix
it or compensate customers more than replacing the damaged component
within warranty, i.e. AC adapter or laptop motherboard. There are reports
of customers replacing the AC adapter several times. This indicates that
it is a design flaw, wrong construction that can destroy the id-chip. More
info on

http://www.laptops-battery.co.uk/blo...r-type-cannot-
be-determined-solution/#content

[end quote]

--
bz

infinite set.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote in
98.139:

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

http://www.laptops-battery.co.uk/blo...er-type-cannot
-
be-determined-solution/#content

[end quote]

well,then you buy some "ID chips",and make an adapter that carries one,and
your generic power supply plugs into that adapter.the adapter stays with
the PC when you unplug the PS,so the ID chip doesn't get destroyed or
damaged.
Perhaps you could even wire the ID chip directly to the PC motherboard.
Maybe it just needs a MOV or spike protector across the input.

the "ID chip" design smells(stinks,actually) of deliberate action to
preclude use of inexpensive aftermarket supplies.

HOW does a "one-wire ID chip" work,anyways?

Heh,"one-wire ID chip" sounds like a chip resistor.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

bz wrote in
98.139:

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire
[quote]
1-Wire is a registered trademark of Dallas Semiconductor Corp.[1] for a
device communications bus system designed by Dallas Semiconductor that
provides low-speed data, signaling and power over a single signal, albeit
using two wires, one for ground, one for power and data. 1-Wire is similar
in concept to I²C, but with lower data rates and longer range. [unquote]

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

HOW does a "one-wire ID chip" work,anyways?

Heh,"one-wire ID chip" sounds like a chip resistor.

Power and data on one wire, and the chip needs a ground connection.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/products/ibuttons.cfm

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bz wrote in message
98.139...
Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

[...]

That 3 wire problem , not a problem. Have the compaq with me now , took dvm
readings, chassis ground to outer face of that 3 way line connector, red
DVM
plus probe to chassis on diode test 0.63V forward V, nothing on neg to
ground . Current limited power up on bench supply, needed to switch on pc
before it would charge (maybe my inadequate bodged up dummy 7.3/5mm
connector). No requirement to have third pin connected for this use. No
popup my side of Vista password entry anyway, perhaps a Dell problem and
third wire problems.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote in message
bz wrote in message
98.139...
Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

[...]

it didn't bounce back so presumably no Vista induced hickup, so centre wire
not required for this Compaq and HP 90W ps.