Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default HP Laptop power supply output plug

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

bz wrote in
98.139:

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

it's probably just a resistor value that gets read,forms a voltage
divider and the developed V gets read. Simple,cheap to implement.
No resistor,you get the "insufficient supply" message.

[quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspiron]

"AC power adapter type cannot be determined"

When I startup my computer, I get the message “The AC power adapter
type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the
battery will not charge."

This error occurs due to a communication error between an id-chip
within the AC adapter and the laptop. Mostly the issue is due to
unprotected 1-wire id-chip getting destroyed, or the laptop
motherboard being damaged. This issue has been known for a long time
and DELL has done nothing to fix it or compensate customers more than
replacing the damaged component within warranty, i.e. AC adapter or
laptop motherboard. There are reports of customers replacing the AC
adapter several times. This indicates that it is a design flaw, wrong
construction that can destroy the id-chip. More info on

http://www.laptops-battery.co.uk/blo...er-type-cannot
-
be-determined-solution/#content

[end quote]

well,then you buy some "ID chips",and make an adapter that carries
one,and your generic power supply plugs into that adapter.the adapter
stays with the PC when you unplug the PS,so the ID chip doesn't get
destroyed or damaged.
Perhaps you could even wire the ID chip directly to the PC motherboard.
Maybe it just needs a MOV or spike protector across the input.

the "ID chip" design smells(stinks,actually) of deliberate action to
preclude use of inexpensive aftermarket supplies.

HOW does a "one-wire ID chip" work,anyways?

Heh,"one-wire ID chip" sounds like a chip resistor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire
[quote]
1-Wire is a registered trademark of Dallas Semiconductor Corp.[1] for a
device communications bus system designed by Dallas Semiconductor that
provides low-speed data, signaling and power over a single signal, albeit
using two wires, one for ground, one for power and data. 1-Wire is similar
in concept to I²C, but with lower data rates and longer range. [unquote]

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.