Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Digital TV blinking

I've been observing a phenomenon that's puzzling me. I have an analog TV
connected to a DTV settop converter (Zenith DTT901). For the most part,
it works fine.

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

It only does it on certain channels, at seemingly random times.
Switching to another channel gives an unblinking picture. So this tends
to rule out the converter box, even though it *could* be blinking just
on that one channel (but why?).

And if the station is putting out a blinking signal, you'd think the
station would notice this and correct it.

Anyone else seen this?

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I've been observing a phenomenon that's puzzling me. I have an analog TV
connected to a DTV settop converter (Zenith DTT901). For the most part,
it works fine.

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

It only does it on certain channels, at seemingly random times.
Switching to another channel gives an unblinking picture. So this tends
to rule out the converter box, even though it *could* be blinking just
on that one channel (but why?).

And if the station is putting out a blinking signal, you'd think the
station would notice this and correct it.

Anyone else seen this?

Your reception is bad, or your settop, or both, most likely the
settop, it looks as if it cannot keep up with the
datastream/conversion.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/1/2010 7:54 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I've been observing a phenomenon that's puzzling me. I have an analog TV
connected to a DTV settop converter (Zenith DTT901). For the most part,
it works fine.

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

It only does it on certain channels, at seemingly random times.
Switching to another channel gives an unblinking picture. So this tends
to rule out the converter box, even though it *could* be blinking just
on that one channel (but why?).

And if the station is putting out a blinking signal, you'd think the
station would notice this and correct it.

Anyone else seen this?

Your reception is bad, or your settop, or both, most likely the
settop, it looks as if it cannot keep up with the
datastream/conversion.

No, I don't think that's the problem. The signal is strong (at least as
indicated by the converter itself, which at least gives a fair
approximation of signal strength), and this isn't the usual kind of
image degeneration one sees with a marginal signal (pixellation,
unchanging parts of scene, general corruption of image). The
image--perfectly clear--just blinks from time to time.

So I take it you haven't actually seen the phenomenon I described.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:47:59 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I've been observing a phenomenon that's puzzling me. I have an analog TV
connected to a DTV settop converter (Zenith DTT901). For the most part,
it works fine.

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

It only does it on certain channels, at seemingly random times.
Switching to another channel gives an unblinking picture. So this tends
to rule out the converter box, even though it *could* be blinking just
on that one channel (but why?).

And if the station is putting out a blinking signal, you'd think the
station would notice this and correct it.

Anyone else seen this?

Sure your signal is not dropping out at the antenna?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I've been observing a phenomenon that's puzzling me. I have an analog TV
connected to a DTV settop converter (Zenith DTT901). For the most part,
it works fine.

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

It only does it on certain channels, at seemingly random times.
Switching to another channel gives an unblinking picture. So this tends
to rule out the converter box, even though it *could* be blinking just
on that one channel (but why?).

And if the station is putting out a blinking signal, you'd think the
station would notice this and correct it.

Anyone else seen this?

Sure your signal is not dropping out at the antenna?- Hide quoted text -

I would try another setup using a different antenna or convertor,
borrow or swap one with a a neighbor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 1, 7:47*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

Bad reception is NOT indicated; that would cause the audio to
drop out, and the screen would freeze, not go black.

Two possibilities: your picture circuitry (possibly a video driver
power
supply) has a loose connection, or the TV station is having 'video
difficulties'.
If the TV is a LCD type, the backlight could be going out
intermittently,
if it's a CRT set, the HV might be arcing (this will usually cause the
screen picture size to change a bit also).

Can you record some black-ing video and see if it has the same
artifact on playback?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Bear in mind also, that digital TV reception is not *just* about signal
strength. The digital sat receivers here in the UK, have twin on-screen
signal meters in service test mode. One of these is for signal strength, and
the other is for signal "quality", which is a measure of the determined
bit-error count. I have on many occasions seen misaligned dishes that give a
good 70%+ signal strength indication, but only a 50% quality reading. My
terrestrial DTV signals are a bit 'iffy' at some points on my distribution
network. The signal to the kitchen is one example. The LCD TV in there has a
signal strength meter which pops up for a few seconds whenever you change
channel. This seldom shows below 70%, but this set often suffers from all
sorts of odd problems, including pixellation, total freezes, and an on
screen message saying that no programme is available on that channel, even
though the meter showed a good signal level. I suspect a cable drop issue
and standing waves on the drop, but it only occurs on some channels, and the
TV is not used enough to warrant the hassle of running down the cause of
this 'problem'.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
.

wrote:
[...]

I have two different US DTV converters,and the signal meters only measure
signal strength,not "quality"(bit error rate?),and they are different in
their operation and response.

Mine drops out depending on where my upstairs neighbor is at the time. :-(

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/02/2010 21:19, whit3rd wrote:
On Feb 1, 7:47 pm, David wrote:

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

Bad reception is NOT indicated; that would cause the audio to
drop out, and the screen would freeze, not go black.

Two possibilities: your picture circuitry (possibly a video driver
power
supply) has a loose connection, or the TV station is having 'video
difficulties'.

Another: The TV set concerned is correcting for different aspect ratio
(widescreen / normal) between program material and that shown during the
advert breaks?

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]