Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Digital TV blinking

On 2/1/2010 7:54 PM Sjouke Burry spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I've been observing a phenomenon that's puzzling me. I have an analog TV
connected to a DTV settop converter (Zenith DTT901). For the most part,
it works fine.

But every so often the program I'm watching blinks. Every few seconds
the picture blinks black. No corresponding breaks in the audio.

It only does it on certain channels, at seemingly random times.
Switching to another channel gives an unblinking picture. So this tends
to rule out the converter box, even though it *could* be blinking just
on that one channel (but why?).

And if the station is putting out a blinking signal, you'd think the
station would notice this and correct it.

Anyone else seen this?

Your reception is bad, or your settop, or both, most likely the
settop, it looks as if it cannot keep up with the
datastream/conversion.

No, I don't think that's the problem. The signal is strong (at least as
indicated by the converter itself, which at least gives a fair
approximation of signal strength), and this isn't the usual kind of
image degeneration one sees with a marginal signal (pixellation,
unchanging parts of scene, general corruption of image). The
image--perfectly clear--just blinks from time to time.

So I take it you haven't actually seen the phenomenon I described.

- a Usenet "apology"