Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NEC MultiSync LCD1555V

hey again, I've got an NEC MultiSync LCD1555V here, which a friend
gave to me, and it's not working right. you turn it on, and the screen
is lit up, but no picture - or so I thought. after disassembling it,
and not finding anything visibly wrong with it, I put it back together
and as I was putting the case back together I figured I'd plug it in
and try it again right quick. I did so, and I was holding it at an
angle. apparently there is picture. it's just so bright that it's not
visible generally. you have to look at it in a way that the light isnt
being shown through it at its maximum effect. when I try any of the
buttons on the front(other than power, which functions properly) it
brings up a dialog on the screen saying at the top "video input" and
then it says "Out of range" as the message. so I can't change
brightness or anything.
any ideas? I can also make out my desktop, so I know it is -working-
just not correctly. and the screen goes into standby if you unplug the
video cable, so power seems to work right.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kronflux wrote:

[...]

Try dropping your screen RES down in the computer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

just tried that. dropped it to 800x600, which is the lowest I could
set it to, and it did the same thing. I could still see the desktop
vaguely, and the menu did the same thing. "Out of range"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I also thought about lowering the refresh rate, but it only allows me
60. which is odd. but yeah.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

okay so I just hooked it up to an older PC. same result except I can
now get into the menu. I've tried changing everything. that includes
brightness and contrast. nothing worked.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:55:49 -0800 (PST), kronflux
wrote:

[...]

The most likely possibility is a failure in the backlight system.
Open it up and check for shorted transistors, blown fuses, etc in the
power supply and inverter (often combined on one board).

www.badcaps.net/forum has a section on troubleshooting and repairing
these problems.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:03:58 -0500, Jamie
t wrote:

kronflux wrote:

[...]

??? He can see the desktop. Why would you think running at too high
a resolution cause the backlights to fail?

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

apparently, having too high or low of resolution or refresh rate, can
cause the problem with the on screen menu repeating "Out Of Range" no
matter what you press. after hooking it up to another computer, with
an older video card, I was able to access the menu flawlessly. thats
why people were talking about resolution. the other problem is the one
I'm more concerned about.
I think it may have to do with the LCD itself being faulty. I don't
think the backlighting is too high or anything. I think what's
happening is that the LCD isn't getting enough contrast to be visible
or something.