Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "shake" switch?

I'm not trying to be funny.

Find a pillow. Then slam the remote against it with as force as you can
muster, preferably from multiple directions.

This might knock loose the sensor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi,

I've got a programmable remote that has a switch
inside that is used to detect motion (i.e., to
see when you have picked the remote *up*). It
uses this signal to "turn itself on".

Note that it is NOT a (typical) mercury switch.
I.e., I can leave the remote in *any* orientation
and just "tap" it to get it to turn itself on
(it then turns off after a short timeout to
conserve batteries).

I suspect this is just a ball rolling across
a set of contacts so that any motion causes
a *made* contact to *break* or a *broken*
contact to *make*.

But, the damn thing seems to stick from time to
time. Of course, if it sticks "off" that's no
problem -- just wack the thing until it
decides that you have "moved it" : But, if
it sticks *on* (i.e., if it keeps signalling
"motion" to the electronics inside), then
the batteries get depleted in short order
(less than a day!)

The switch itself is encased in a metallic
jacket. Two terminals (axially). I'd say
it is about 1/8x1/8x1/2" (a rectangular prism).

Any ideas how to replace this (i.e., replacement
part)? Or, how to *fix* it?

Unit appears to be sealed so contact cleaner
isn't a solution... :
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'm not trying to be funny.

Find a pillow. Then slam the remote against it with as force as you can
muster, preferably from multiple directions.

This might knock loose the sensor.

I don't think it is "permanently stuck".

I've tried your solution -- *without* the pillow! -- each
time it has refused to shut off. So far, it has worked
each time. But, it is very inconvenient -- put the remote
down and forget to check it 15 seconds later (to verify
it has powered down) and you end up with dead batteries!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've tried your solution -- *without* the pillow! -- each
time it has refused to shut off. So far, it has worked
each time. But, it is very inconvenient -- put the remote
down and forget to check it 15 seconds later (to verify
it has powered down) and you end up with dead batteries!

What brand/model is it? Most remotes -- at least, those with a high-drain
display -- shut themselves off after a user-selected timeout.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I've tried your solution -- *without* the pillow! -- each
time it has refused to shut off. So far, it has worked
each time. But, it is very inconvenient -- put the remote
down and forget to check it 15 seconds later (to verify
it has powered down) and you end up with dead batteries!

What brand/model is it? Most remotes -- at least, those with a high-drain
display -- shut themselves off after a user-selected timeout.

Something from Radio Shack (I'll have to get a magnifying
glass to read the damn microscopic part number molded in the
plastic).

Yes, this shuts down in about 10-15 seconds. WHEN IT WORKS!
(I suspect there may be a way to adjust it -- I know I can
adjust the brightnes of the lamp -- but regardless of the
timie limit, it still suffers from not wanting to *reliably*
turn itself off).

I've learned not to give it an *excuse* to stay on. I.e.,
don't leave it on the sofa as each time you shift your
position the thing *wants* to turn on. But, even leaving
it on the floor (concrete slab) you have to watch it to make
*sure* it turns off. frown

I may just remove the damn switch and rely on "pressing
a noncritical button" to wake the thing up (though you
can't see where the buttons are with the light off!!)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You might want to look at the X-10 universal remote. I got it about two
months ago for $50 and free shipping, though it's not currently available at
that price. (Quite a products -- it also controls X-10 modules.) It shuts
itself off reliably.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

D Yuniskis wrote:
[...]

Is it possible to make a little hole in it to get some silicone or
contact cleaner in there.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

D Yuniskis wrote in message
[...]

usually called a trembler , see automobile alarm systems

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

usually called a trembler...

Wasn't that a Vincent Price movie?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
usually called a trembler...

Wasn't that a Vincent Price movie?

Wasn't it the Tingler?
The essence of fear taking on the form of a lobster / section of spine, as
it is that creature that gives the tingling. Complete with one on a string,
run over the heads of the audience in the cinema

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

usually called a trembler...

Wasn't that a Vincent Price movie?

Wasn't it "The Tingler"?

Yes. I was being a wise-ass.

The essence of fear taking on the form of a lobster / section
of spine, as it is that creature that gives the tingling. Complete
with one on a string, run over the heads of the audience in the
cinema.

That was actually a skeleton, in "House on Haunted Hill", dubbed "Emergo".

Thought a William Castle production, the movie is quite so bad as you might
think. (It's generally considered Herr Schloss's masterpiece.) It's also the
first movie with a reference to LSD.

Rent "Matinee" if you can find it. It's a spoof of Castle and his ilk. The
movie itself is a bit slack and lacks focus, but is worth seeing for John
Goodman's performance as Castle -- and even more for his latest film,
"Mant!", a perfect send-up of '50s sci-fi/horror flicks. (It even has
William Schallert as a libidinous dentist, plus cameos from other veterans
of that era.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 05:35:43 -0800 "William Sommerwerck"
wrote in Message id:
:

That was actually a skeleton, in "House on Haunted Hill", dubbed "Emergo".

Thought a William Castle production, the movie is quite so bad as you might
think. (It's generally considered Herr Schloss's masterpiece.) It's also the
first movie with a reference to LSD.

I LOVE that movie! That was the first movie to give me a real scare when I
was a kid - When that old ladies ghost came floating through the wall in
the basement I practically ****ed myself.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mark wrote:
D Yuniskis wrote:
[...]

I suspect doing so will run a good risk of breaking
the thing. Perhaps a small "dremel" drill would
be delicate enough.

But, I am not sure that even cleaning solution would work.
E.g., it's *sealed* so contaminants shouldn't have been
a problem. It could just be the "ball" (if that is what's
inside) has worn the "lands" on which it rides such that
there isn't a reliable contact anymore. Low voltage
contacts are notorious for this sort of problem (and
I seriously doubt the assembly uses any precious
metals to alleviate this!)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:46:36 -0700, D Yuniskis
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've got a programmable remote that has a switch
inside that is used to detect motion (i.e., to
see when you have picked the remote *up*). It
uses this signal to "turn itself on".

Note that it is NOT a (typical) mercury switch.
I.e., I can leave the remote in *any* orientation
and just "tap" it to get it to turn itself on
(it then turns off after a short timeout to
conserve batteries).

Could it be a piezo shock sensor? Is it mounted at 45 degrees on the
PCB?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:46:36 -0700, D Yuniskis
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've got a programmable remote that has a switch
inside that is used to detect motion (i.e., to
see when you have picked the remote *up*). It
uses this signal to "turn itself on".

Note that it is NOT a (typical) mercury switch.
I.e., I can leave the remote in *any* orientation
and just "tap" it to get it to turn itself on
(it then turns off after a short timeout to
conserve batteries).

Could it be a piezo shock sensor?

Doubtful. I *really* suspect it is just a metal
ball with lots of opportunities to make and break
a circuit (and these *differences* are what the
processor uses to determine if the device is
"being moved")

Is it mounted at 45 degrees on the PCB?

No.