Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default "shake" switch?

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I've tried your solution -- *without* the pillow! -- each
time it has refused to shut off. So far, it has worked
each time. But, it is very inconvenient -- put the remote
down and forget to check it 15 seconds later (to verify
it has powered down) and you end up with dead batteries!

What brand/model is it? Most remotes -- at least, those with a high-drain
display -- shut themselves off after a user-selected timeout.

Something from Radio Shack (I'll have to get a magnifying
glass to read the damn microscopic part number molded in the
plastic).

Yes, this shuts down in about 10-15 seconds. WHEN IT WORKS!
(I suspect there may be a way to adjust it -- I know I can
adjust the brightnes of the lamp -- but regardless of the
timie limit, it still suffers from not wanting to *reliably*
turn itself off).

I've learned not to give it an *excuse* to stay on. I.e.,
don't leave it on the sofa as each time you shift your
position the thing *wants* to turn on. But, even leaving
it on the floor (concrete slab) you have to watch it to make
*sure* it turns off. frown

I may just remove the damn switch and rely on "pressing
a noncritical button" to wake the thing up (though you
can't see where the buttons are with the light off!!)