Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default "shake" switch?

mark wrote:
D Yuniskis wrote:
I suspect this is just a ball rolling across
a set of contacts so that any motion causes
a *made* contact to *break* or a *broken*
contact to *make*.

But, the damn thing seems to stick from time to
time. Of course, if it sticks "off" that's no
problem -- just wack the thing until it
decides that you have "moved it" : But, if
it sticks *on* (i.e., if it keeps signalling
"motion" to the electronics inside), then
the batteries get depleted in short order
(less than a day!)

The switch itself is encased in a metallic
jacket. Two terminals (axially). I'd say
it is about 1/8x1/8x1/2" (a rectangular prism).

Any ideas how to replace this (i.e., replacement
part)? Or, how to *fix* it?

Unit appears to be sealed so contact cleaner
isn't a solution... :

Is it possible to make a little hole in it to get some silicone or
contact cleaner in there.

I suspect doing so will run a good risk of breaking
the thing. Perhaps a small "dremel" drill would
be delicate enough.

But, I am not sure that even cleaning solution would work.
E.g., it's *sealed* so contaminants shouldn't have been
a problem. It could just be the "ball" (if that is what's
inside) has worn the "lands" on which it rides such that
there isn't a reliable contact anymore. Low voltage
contacts are notorious for this sort of problem (and
I seriously doubt the assembly uses any precious
metals to alleviate this!)