Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "shake" switch?

Hi,

I've got a programmable remote that has a switch
inside that is used to detect motion (i.e., to
see when you have picked the remote *up*). It
uses this signal to "turn itself on".

Note that it is NOT a (typical) mercury switch.
I.e., I can leave the remote in *any* orientation
and just "tap" it to get it to turn itself on
(it then turns off after a short timeout to
conserve batteries).

I suspect this is just a ball rolling across
a set of contacts so that any motion causes
a *made* contact to *break* or a *broken*
contact to *make*.

But, the damn thing seems to stick from time to
time. Of course, if it sticks "off" that's no
problem -- just wack the thing until it
decides that you have "moved it" : But, if
it sticks *on* (i.e., if it keeps signalling
"motion" to the electronics inside), then
the batteries get depleted in short order
(less than a day!)

The switch itself is encased in a metallic
jacket. Two terminals (axially). I'd say
it is about 1/8x1/8x1/2" (a rectangular prism).

Any ideas how to replace this (i.e., replacement
part)? Or, how to *fix* it?

Unit appears to be sealed so contact cleaner
isn't a solution... :