Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to make a radio

I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device
Would you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me

Thank you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

farzad Beheshti wrote:

I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device
Would you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me

Search for crystal radio or "foxhole radio". You will need something to
tune the radio, usually a coil and capacitor, something to detect the
signal (convert from the electrical equivalent of radio waves to sound
waves) which can be a packaged diode or one made from common parts, such
as a crystal (usually galena, aka iron pyrite), an old razor blade, or a
pencil lead, and something to convert the electricity to sound, which is
usually a crystal or magnetic earphone.

So you will need some parts, but not many, and you may be able to improvise
them.

When I was a child, I used to make radio coils out of empty toilet paper
rolls. Much to my wife's chagrin, I still automacticly save them, although
I have not made such a coil in well over 20 years.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

farzad Beheshti wrote:

[...]

You will need a long wire antenna - 20+ meters - unless you
are located very near to a broadcast station. A ground
connection helps as well.

Iron pyrite (aka fool's gold) is iron sulfide. Galena is
lead sulfide. Either will work as a detector diode.

Bryce
(crystal set user in 1953!)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
farzad Beheshti wrote:

[...]

You must have a few thousand by now ( grin.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

WW wrote:
You must have a few thousand by now ( grin.

No, my wife just quietly throws them out. Occasionaly she does remind me.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

farzad Beheshti wrote:
I want to make a simple radio (receiver), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device.
Would you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me?

Thank you.

For a diode, you may wish to 1st start with the venerable 1N34A
germanium diode. Once you have the other circuit components working
the way you wish, you could step back in history then, and go with the
cat whisker detector.

http://www.1n34a.com/parts.htm#diodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s-whisker_detector

Google "crystal radio sets" for lots more.

--
1PW
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

farzad Beheshti wrote:
I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device
Would you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me

Thank you.

http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/r...ade_radio.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skKmwT0EccE&feature=fvw
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/19/2009 7:24 AM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

farzad Beheshti wrote:

I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device
Would you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me

Search for crystal radio or "foxhole radio".

Well, that's one way to go.

But since the OP allowed the use of active devices (e.g., transistors),
just not ICs, why not build a "real" radio? But simple: how about the
world's most primitive superhet AM radio? or maybe just a "crystal set"
but with an audio amp to increase sensitivity? And how about tubes
instead of transistors?

I'd like to see some circuits for such projects. Say something that runs
off a 9-volt battery, maybe with 1, 2 or 3 transistors.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

But since the OP allowed the use of active devices (e.g., transistors),
just not ICs, why not build a "real" radio? But simple: how about the
world's most primitive superhet AM radio? or maybe just a "crystal set"
but with an audio amp to increase sensitivity? And how about tubes
instead of transistors?

I'd like to see some circuits for such projects. Say something that runs
off a 9-volt battery, maybe with 1, 2 or 3 transistors.

As a seventies kid here in the UK, we had the wonderful Ladybird book -
'Making A Transistor Radio'.

http://www.theweeweb.co.uk/public/upclose.php?id=1663

The TRF project was a short plank of wood, some screws and brass cup
washers, electronic bits and not a soldering iron in sight!

Some related web sites on that.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/henry01...bird_radio.htm
http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/trfradios02.html
http://thedomesticsoundscape.com/wor...ird-radio-book

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

farzad Beheshti wrote:

*I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device
Would *you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me

Search for crystal radio or "foxhole radio".

Well, that's one way to go.

But since the OP allowed the use of active devices (e.g., transistors),
just not ICs, why not build a "real" radio? But simple: how about the
world's most primitive superhet AM radio? or maybe just a "crystal set"
but with an audio amp to increase sensitivity? And how about tubes
instead of transistors?

I'd like to see some circuits for such projects. Say something that runs
off a 9-volt battery, maybe with 1, 2 or 3 transistors.

Superhet might be a little more than they can deal with and get
aligned but what about a regenerative? It offers simplicity with
reasonable sensitivity and a 'look what I did' factor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Done that, back when I was about six. Big coil, cap, long wire
antenna.

A few have forgotten I think, no batteries. But an antenna can
actually pick up power. You may tune the desired frequency for
reception and feed it to headphones, but now I am thinking that the
extra power coulod be used to run a local oscillator and then you have
a hetrodyne reciever. Much better and easire to tune.

Intersting.

JURB
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bw bw is offline

"farzad Beheshti" wrote in message

I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device
Would you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me

Thank you.

Check eBay for inexpensive AM radio kits.
Radio shack sold many of these for kids in the 60s to 80s
The kit includes all the needed parts mounted so that you only have to hook
up wires between the parts.
A small instruction book explains the basic operation.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , Adrian C
writes

As a seventies kid here in the UK, we had the wonderful Ladybird book -
'Making A Transistor Radio'.

http://www.theweeweb.co.uk/public/upclose.php?id=1663

Holy cr.. £40!!!! Wow, I better start digging out my old Ladybird
books, I have that exact book somewhere.

The TRF project was a short plank of wood, some screws and brass cup
washers, electronic bits and not a soldering iron in sight!

My first transistor radio project, made me go all dewy eyed remembering
that and building it with my grandfather. Thank you for posting that.

Some related web sites on that.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/henry01...bird_radio.htm
http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/trfradios02.html
http://thedomesticsoundscape.com/wor...ird-radio-book

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Clint Sharp wrote:

http://www.theweeweb.co.uk/public/upclose.php?id=1663

Holy cr.. £40!!!! Wow, I better start digging out my old Ladybird
books, I have that exact book somewhere.

Heh, that's nothing :-)

Someone in the UK has it for sale on Amazon marketplace for £109!

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8 Nov, 14:05, F Murtz wrote:
I once received a radio station (near tower)with long aerial, an earth
to *water pipe , one diode, and some magnetic earphones (the ones with
electric magnet and metal diaphragm)
No coils or capacitances or anything else.

And not so near can still work with this simple setup using a cristal
earphone.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 19, 8:09*am, farzad Beheshti
wrote:
*I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple electrical
device
Would *you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you any reference
or do you know any website or group to help me

* * * * * * * * Thank you.

What are you going to use for primitive headphones?

TMT