Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bryce[_2_] Bryce[_2_] is offline

Default How to make a radio

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

farzad Beheshti wrote:

I want to make a simple radio(reciever), without using
any IC and by
capacitor, inductor, transistor, diode and other simple
electrical device
Would you mind telling me how can I do that. Have you
any reference or do you know any website or group to help
me

Search for crystal radio or "foxhole radio". You will need
something to tune the radio, usually a coil and capacitor,
something to detect the signal (convert from the
electrical equivalent of radio waves to sound waves) which
can be a packaged diode or one made from common parts,
such as a crystal (usually galena, aka iron pyrite), an
old razor blade, or a pencil lead, and something to
convert the electricity to sound, which is usually a
crystal or magnetic earphone.

So you will need some parts, but not many, and you may be
able to improvise them.

When I was a child, I used to make radio coils out of
empty toilet paper rolls. Much to my wife's chagrin, I
still automacticly save them, although I have not made
such a coil in well over 20 years.

Geoff.

You will need a long wire antenna - 20+ meters - unless you
are located very near to a broadcast station. A ground
connection helps as well.

Iron pyrite (aka fool's gold) is iron sulfide. Galena is
lead sulfide. Either will work as a detector diode.

Bryce
(crystal set user in 1953!)