Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic CRT Picture - missing and/or shifted

This is an older (5-7 years old?) Panasonic TV (model PV-M2079) used
primarily for GameCube and for the occasional video.

When I bring up the Menu, or any other dialog screen, there is a 1/2"
section of the menu screen at the left side, a 2" vertical section of
black where any of the icons or text are missing, and then the rest of
the screen appears where it normally would. Like someone had cut a
chunk of it out, but the rest remained in place.

When a game or video is being played, the appearance is different.
The picture seems to be pushed 3" to the right, compressed somewhat
so that we're missing about 10% of the right side of the picture. The
3" section on the left isn't blank, it has a kind of ghosted, swirled
portion of the picture.

Any suggestions on what I might look for to repair this?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Any suggestions on what I might look for to repair this?

Sure, I'd start by looking at the capacitors in the set. They may be
failing. Starting with the ones in the power supply would not be a bad
idea.

Remember that a TV set contains hazardous voltages and may well
maintain a charge after you've turned it off and unplugged it--
especially if the set is malfunctioning. You have to be on the lookout
for high voltages AND line voltage. There's also the risk that comes
from an implosion of the picture tube if it should be abused while the
set is apart.

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Very common to have capacitors in the power supply and the scan
amplifiiers to cause exactly the fault you are describing. An
experienced tech can troubleshoot the set, locate the defective
capacitors, and replace them.

Jerry G.