Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hardcano 12 Chip ID help

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can ID this chip.
Its on a Thermaltake Hardcano 12 Fan speed controller for PC cooling
There are 4 chips to control 4 fans, only 2 fan channels are now working.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40466580@N07/3739612554/

As you might see from the photo,
pins 1-3 are joined and are variable DC output to the 12vdc fan,
pin 4 has a variable width pulse in of 8v peak on a good channel but 2v
peak one duff channel, 8v on the other duff channel (No output on 1-3).
Pins 7-8 are joined and have 12VDC rail,
pins 5-6 have traces disappearing under the board which I can't
disassemble as I'm going to RMA it but want to see if its even worth
getting another as it only lasted an hour before failing.

It was driving 4xThermaltake 120mm Blue LED fans. There are no real
specs on its drive ability, but I assume its capable of driving case fans.

TIA JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have no idea about the ICs, but what camer did you use for the picture of
the board?

That's an extremely clear pic, even the texture in the epoxy is sharp.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Archon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Archon" wrote in message
[...]

Thats my trusty old Olympus C-4000 Zoom on closeup mode.

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

"Archon" wrote in message
[...]

Most 3-5 megapix cameras with good lighting, manual focus and a macro
mode can take those kind of pics and even better. Doesn't hurt to have
a camera with a 37mm lens and multiple CCDs. I get great closeups
with my Panasonic MiniDV camera in the still pix/manaul/macro mode
because of the 37mm lens and three CDD pickup + OIS and a tripod.

As far as the IC goes good luck. Maybe check some junk motherboards of
similar attributes for a pull.

Agreed, but I've been fairly disappointed on closeups with more recent
cameras.

Anyways, the chip I'm thinking is a variety of the Agilent - HCPL-3120
but the pin functions don't match.

I was hoping to find a spec sheet just to see why this failed and if its
up to the job, all the reviews say its good so maybe this was a bad one.

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wild_Bill wrote:
I have no idea about the ICs, but what camer did you use for the picture
of the board?

That's an extremely clear pic, even the texture in the epoxy is sharp.

The depth-of-field is extremely shallow, so I'd guess that he's used a
DSLR with a very good lens, shot wide open.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
Snip
[...]

Well if you haven't any idea of the power sinking capabilities of the
chip maybe 4x120mm lighted fansare too much especially if the LEDs
power from the fan source but even if that's not the case it may still
be too much. Without knowing the capabilities of each fan source as to
speed control maximum wattage it's hard to say yes or no to this one.

This is the device in question, be good if they gave more technical specs
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/A...1845/a1845.asp

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:24:31 -0400, Archon
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
Snip
[...]

snip

Oh are you trying to power that from a fan source? Seems more logical
to plug that into the PSU.

Actually that was the wrong device, its this one :
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/A...2349/a2349.asp

Of course I'm plugging it into a standard 12/5 rail supply on the PC PSU
as it was designed.

Anyway I've RMA'd it with a query as to whether it is capable of running
LED fans, pretty crap if it can't. It would be interesting to figure out
those ic's, I'm guessing opto coupled IGBT drivers of some sort, but
can't find any commercial part with that kind of pinout and I don't know
if there is anything on the other side of the board with more power
handling. I might be able to re-engineer the outputs if the replacement
dies. The unit is pretty cool looking and could do the job if designed
properly.

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

"Archon" wrote in message
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can ID this chip.
Its on a Thermaltake Hardcano 12 Fan speed controller for PC cooling
There are 4 chips to control 4 fans, only 2 fan channels are now working.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40466580@N07/3739612554/

The soldering visible in the shot is really lousy. Almost every joint
looks dry. I'd resolder everything.

Help with a chip machinesmith Electronics Repair 4 July 4th 06 07:06 PM
OSD chip David Electronics 3 March 16th 06 01:51 AM
ATX PSU PWM chip Markus L Electronics Repair 0 July 22nd 05 08:33 PM
Can someone tell me what this chip does? Chris W Electronics 0 February 17th 05 06:23 AM
Advice on how locating ( Chip FA4111 & chip M52722P) in the UK ? (for a vgood 21" monitor) Chris Electronics 1 January 29th 04 03:46 AM