Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default Aldi rechargeable shaver - battery replacement?

I don't suppose anyone has one of those Aldi rechargeable foil shavers
and has taken the plunge and replaced the batteries inside it?

(FYI for non-UK readers - this is a cheap UK supermarket own brand!)

Mine is about 2 years old, and works fine except that the built-in
batteries are pretty-well gone; it now just holds charge for about a day
or two's shaving, but soon it will be only possible to use it tethered
by its mains cable/charger.

I've opened it up and the batteries (AA or AAA size) are concealed by a
plastic housing and circuit board to which they are soldered. Any
further surgery now on my part will involve breaking into the housing,
which I think will carry a high risk of killing the shaver altogether,
which would be a pity! I can't see any easy way in.

So I'm just wondering whether anyone else has been down this road before
me and successfully opened up one of these to replace the batteries?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Lobster writes:
I don't suppose anyone has one of those Aldi rechargeable foil shavers
and has taken the plunge and replaced the batteries inside it?

(FYI for non-UK readers - this is a cheap UK supermarket own brand!)

Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart, although most stores are a much
higher proportion food goods than Wall-Marts are.

Mine is about 2 years old, and works fine except that the built-in
batteries are pretty-well gone; it now just holds charge for about a day
or two's shaving, but soon it will be only possible to use it tethered
by its mains cable/charger.

I've opened it up and the batteries (AA or AAA size) are concealed by a
plastic housing and circuit board to which they are soldered. Any
further surgery now on my part will involve breaking into the housing,
which I think will carry a high risk of killing the shaver altogether,
which would be a pity! I can't see any easy way in.

So I'm just wondering whether anyone else has been down this road before
me and successfully opened up one of these to replace the batteries?

I've done this a number of times with shavers and beard trimmers,
and kept some old ones going for years. Mine were all Ni-Cds which
are getting harder to find nowadays. At 2 years old, yours almost
certainly isn't NiCds, more likely NiMH. I guess there might be some
products with Lithium polymer batteries at the top of the range.
NiMH with solder tags are easy to find.

Can't comment on the ease of disassembly of your unit. If the shaver
was waterproof, I would not assume it still will be. If the shaver
brings in mains directly, then you must be particularly careful to
reassemble with any insulation barriers in the right place.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart,

Bull****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On May 24, 3:44*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"

On 24 May,
* * (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart, although most stores are a much
higher proportion food goods than Wall-Marts are.

Asda is owned by Wall-Mart (American). Aldi is a German company.

* *It is Wal-Mart, with only one 'L'

* *There are Aldi supermarkets in the US.

We have a local ALDI, started out only with food, but expanded into
general merchansdise (about 20% of the floor space is now non-food.
They have just gotten zoning for a new big store and I can't wait to
see what they carry. It is bare-bones shopping, but prices beat
everyone else and it has become quite popular in our supposedly
upscale Naperville suburban Chicago area. SHopped at some of their
stores in Germany also over the years and they are wisdespread over
there, their home location. ADSA is the Wal-Mart subsidiary, they
were bought out a few years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
[...]

Yes I'm sure I can sort it similarly, provided I can get inside without
destroying it!

Can't comment on the ease of disassembly of your unit. If the shaver
was waterproof, I would not assume it still will be. If the shaver
brings in mains directly, then you must be particularly careful to
reassemble with any insulation barriers in the right place.

No, it comes with a wall-wart so fortunately it's only low voltage input.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 24 May 2009 16:44:17 -0400 Michael A. Terrell wrote :
There are Aldi supermarkets in the US.

And here in Australia

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
I don't suppose anyone has one of those Aldi rechargeable foil
shavers and has taken the plunge and replaced the batteries inside
it?

(FYI for non-UK readers - this is a cheap UK supermarket own brand!)

Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart, although most stores are a much
higher proportion food goods than Wall-Marts are.

Since when?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:23:21 +0100, Lobster wrote:
[...]

I've done this with a razor in the past, though not the one you have. The
only issue I came across was that the batteries (2 of 'em) were a non-
standard size. However RS, or Farnell stocked the 2/3rds size cells I needed.
A quick swap-out and it was back to working again.
If yo do have to break into anything, hot-melt glue is your friend for
making reasonably sturdy repairs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On 24 mayo, 20:23, Lobster wrote:

I've opened it up and the batteries (AA or AAA size)

you will need to open it up with a stanley knife and see if you can
get an idea of the voltage and capacity of the batteries. chances are
you'll be able to find a replacement. if need be, be sure to order
ones with solder tags spot- welded on!

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/replacement_batteries/ might give you
an idea.
-B.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

There's a simple solution to the cost of keeping your electric razor
working...

You stop shaving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart, although most stores are a much
higher proportion food goods than Wall-Marts are.
Asda is owned by Wall-Mart (American). Aldi is a German company.
It is Wal-Mart, with only one 'L'

There are Aldi supermarkets in the US.

We have a local ALDI, started out only with food, but expanded into
general merchansdise (about 20% of the floor space is now non-food.
They have just gotten zoning for a new big store and I can't wait to
see what they carry. It is bare-bones shopping, but prices beat
everyone else and it has become quite popular in our supposedly
upscale Naperville suburban Chicago area.

Save-A-Lot beats them on some things, Aldi on others. The same with
Wal-Mart. Distilled water for 87 cents a gallon, and diet pop I can
stand to drink, 78 cents for a two liter bottle. Some brands use
artificial sweetener that makes me sick. Sams Club is good for some
food items, as well. I go to Aldi and Sams club about once a month, then
I do the rest of my shopping at a local Winn-Dixie or Save-A-Lot store
that area couple miles from me.

What's the name exactly of the diet drink that doesn't have a
saccharin taste, I can't find one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

mark wrote:

What's the name exactly of the diet drink that doesn't have a
saccharin taste, I can't find one.

I don't know any that taste like Saccharin ©. It was banned for a
long, long time, but I remember how foul it tasted in the '60s. It was
so foul that I won't touch anything made with it. The one I buy at
Wal-Mart is their Diet Dr. Thunder ©, a knockoff of Dr. Pepper ©. The
two others I can drink are Winn-Dixie Check © brand. Their Diet Kountry
Mist ©, a knockoff of Mountain Dew ©. the other is their Diet Creme
Soda ©. All three use Aspartame ©. Other artificial sweeteners give me
severe diarrhea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

mark wrote:

What's the name exactly of the diet drink that doesn't have a
saccharin taste, I can't find one.

I don't know any that taste like Saccharin ©. It was banned for a
long, long time, but I remember how foul it tasted in the '60s. It was
so foul that I won't touch anything made with it. The one I buy at
Wal-Mart is their Diet Dr. Thunder ©, a knockoff of Dr. Pepper ©. The
two others I can drink are Winn-Dixie Check © brand. Their Diet Kountry
Mist ©, a knockoff of Mountain Dew ©. the other is their Diet Creme
Soda ©. All three use Aspartame ©. Other artificial sweeteners give me
severe diarrhea.

I like Pepsi Max in the UK (again, Aspartame).
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to exist in the US, and the
Diet Pespi/Coke there is also worse than here (maybe Saccharin;
I haven't looked at the ingedients).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

I know of no diet drink that uses saccharin. Saccharin had a bitter
aftertaste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

mark wrote:

What's the name exactly of the diet drink that doesn't have a
saccharin taste, I can't find one.

I don't know any that taste like Saccharin ©. It was banned for a
long, long time, but I remember how foul it tasted in the '60s. It was
so foul that I won't touch anything made with it. The one I buy at
Wal-Mart is their Diet Dr. Thunder ©, a knockoff of Dr. Pepper ©. The
two others I can drink are Winn-Dixie Check © brand. Their Diet Kountry
Mist ©, a knockoff of Mountain Dew ©. the other is their Diet Creme
Soda ©. All three use Aspartame ©. Other artificial sweeteners give me
severe diarrhea.

I like Pepsi Max in the UK (again, Aspartame).
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to exist in the US, and the
Diet Pespi/Coke there is also worse than here (maybe Saccharin;
I haven't looked at the ingedients).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Pepsi says Pepsi uses Aspartame © in
the US, but it uses other types in Canada, along with Aspartame ©

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Max says Pepsi Max © is now being
sold in the US. I don't even bother to look at the Pepsi © products,
anymore. I never cared for any version of Coke ©.